RE: [sig] Period Veggies

  • Art Plazewski
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2001
      To all Poles known as "wloszczyzna" ( cabbage , leek , onion ,carrot ,
      parsley root)... ;-)
      Art.
      PS
      Wlochy - means Italy in Polish.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2001
        > Dont forget that when the Italian Queen (or Princess, or noblewoman) Married the King of Poland, she brought her own kitchen and garden, with the gardeners, etc, to Poland with her! So, some veggies may not have done very well, but maybe some would have that we think as Italian!

        That would be Bona Sforza (very late period). And yes, she's a great time
        marker, because certain things are mentioned specifically as being
        imported by Bona Sforza.

        I believe the archaeological source dates cucumbers to the 1300's at
        least.

        "Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2001
          > To all Poles known as "wloszczyzna" ( cabbage , leek , onion ,carrot ,
          > parsley root)... ;-)
          > Art.
          > PS
          > Wlochy - means Italy in Polish.

          Interesting! Though other sources suggest that those veggies were known in
          Poland before Bona Sforza, and it was certain other green leafy vegetables
          that were originally imported and referred to by those terms, but the
          term's meaning -- doesn't it roughly mean 'soup greens'? -- got changed
          over time as the contents of soups changed? Italian soups of period seemed
          to be big on stewed and chopped gree vegetable puree...

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2001
            That's right - it means soup greens - it is a common term - "go get some
            wloszczyzna" - and anybody knows what to get (in Poland).
            Although all those veggies were known before Bona , it is possible that her
            court popularized their use together...( my speculation ).
            Art.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9, 2001
              My deepest appreciation to all those kind gentles who took the time to reply to my question.

              I have much to learn,

              Juliana