RE: [sig] Period Veggies

  • Art Plazewski
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2001
      Cucumber was known to Greeks and Romans . Cultivated by medieval Slavs -
      ergo - could be known to Poles...
      Art.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2001
        Dont forget that when the Italian Queen (or Princess, or noblewoman) Married the King of Poland, she brought her own kitchen and garden, with the gardeners, etc, to Poland with her! So, some veggies may not have done very well, but maybe some would have that we think as Italian!
        The recent Polish cooking book dealt with a lot of this!!
        Take care all!
        Judwiga

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2001
          To all Poles known as "wloszczyzna" ( cabbage , leek , onion ,carrot ,
          parsley root)... ;-)
          Art.
          PS
          Wlochy - means Italy in Polish.
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2001
            > Dont forget that when the Italian Queen (or Princess, or noblewoman) Married the King of Poland, she brought her own kitchen and garden, with the gardeners, etc, to Poland with her! So, some veggies may not have done very well, but maybe some would have that we think as Italian!

            That would be Bona Sforza (very late period). And yes, she's a great time
            marker, because certain things are mentioned specifically as being
            imported by Bona Sforza.

            I believe the archaeological source dates cucumbers to the 1300's at
            least.

            "Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."
          • Jenne Heise
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2001
              > To all Poles known as "wloszczyzna" ( cabbage , leek , onion ,carrot ,
              > parsley root)... ;-)
              > Art.
              > PS
              > Wlochy - means Italy in Polish.

              Interesting! Though other sources suggest that those veggies were known in
              Poland before Bona Sforza, and it was certain other green leafy vegetables
              that were originally imported and referred to by those terms, but the
              term's meaning -- doesn't it roughly mean 'soup greens'? -- got changed
              over time as the contents of soups changed? Italian soups of period seemed
              to be big on stewed and chopped gree vegetable puree...

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2001
                That's right - it means soup greens - it is a common term - "go get some
                wloszczyzna" - and anybody knows what to get (in Poland).
                Although all those veggies were known before Bona , it is possible that her
                court popularized their use together...( my speculation ).
                Art.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 9, 2001
                  My deepest appreciation to all those kind gentles who took the time to reply to my question.

                  I have much to learn,

                  Juliana