Re: [sig] Belyi Zamok

  • Christine Jacobs
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2001
      From: "Dmitriy V. Ryaboy" <dvryaboy@...>

      > All right, let's hear it, Kseniia -- how was it?
      >
      > -Dmitriy

      *grin* FABULOUS!

      The general theme of the festival was 14th century. The host group
      reconstructs the Knights Templar, and boy did they do a good job - their
      garb was absolutely beautiful, down to the homespun (I think) fabric.

      On Friday night there was an opening parade, where all of the different
      clubs were introduced. There were groups from Moscow, Minsk, St.
      Petersburg, Kazan, Latvia, Estonia, Poland, and lots of other places. After
      the parade there was a costume competition with judges from various
      sources - TV news people, historians, and even one guy in a military
      uniform. Nasledie Predkov (my Moscow club) came away with two prizes:
      "Best Woman's Costume from the Early Middle Ages" for a beautiful Bulgarian
      costume (Natal'ya, Dmitriy, if you know her); and "Best Collection" for a
      group of costumes ranging from the 10th to the 17th century all by one woman
      (Dmitriy: Anya, or Ol'kha). We were pretty darn proud. :)

      The main tournament took place on Saturday. I missed the first half; a few
      of us wanted to go out and see the city. The second half was well worth
      watching, though. First of all, I should mention, if I haven't already,
      that the folks out here fight with real swords - blunted, yes, but real
      steel. Subsequently their armor is also completely steel and leather - no
      plastic armor here. Not to mention that they aren't obliged to have closed
      helms; sometimes there's just a little nose guard. The clatter that a group
      of these fighters cause when they walk by is enough to get any heart racing.
      And when they fight - there's just something about *sparks* flying when two
      swords clash that can't be duplicated with rattan.

      Two of our guys, Leif and Serebryanny Sokol (Silver Falcon), made it into
      the final eight. The organizers divided the finalists into 2 teams, White
      and Red, and each fighter was assigned an opponent. Leif, on the White
      team, got put up against one of Russia's swordfighting champions, Astaldar
      Paladin, and just couldn't quite get past his guard. Sokol was on the Red
      team, and won his bout. In the end there were 3 Reds and 1White, who was a
      relative newcomer, Sergei from the Moscow club Paladin. Well, this newcomer
      managed to beat the pants off the remaining Reds, *including* Astaldar, as
      well as our Sokol. It was amazing to watch - Sergei had been fighting all
      day, had won 6 bouts before the finals, then swept the finals 4 in a row.
      It was just unbelieveable. While we were disappointed that our guys didn't
      win (and Sokol was less than pleased, he's almost as well known as
      Astaldar), we know Sergei, and he's a good guy, and a great fighter. He
      sometimes trains with us, in fact.

      Sunday was set aside for battles. They set up a tower and walls in the main
      hall, and our hosts, the local group which reconstructs the Knights Templar,
      defended against pretty much everyone else. Now, I haven't been to Pennsic,
      but everyone talks about the sound of the two armies approaching each other.
      Well, here there were only 60 or 70 to a side, but it was heart-pounding to
      watch and to hear - so much armor, so much metal! Wow. They even brought
      in a horse for the leader of the Knights Templar. (He just rode around a
      little, then they took the horse back out - it wasn't involved in the
      battle!) I'm not sure who won, I think they managed to take the tower.
      Next they fought in front of the tower - two armies. That was kind of
      scary - the fighters, when they get going, tend not to notice things like
      the barricades between themselves and the public. My friend Tanya almost
      had her head chopped off by the backswing of a particularly enthusiastic
      Knight. Not a little blood was spilt, but no one was seriously hurt, as far
      as I could tell.

      After the battles they had archery competitions, crossbow and regular bow.
      I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that their archers, well, sucked.
      From about 15 meters they were lucky if they hit the board the target was
      hanging on, let alone the target itself. I didn't realize in time, but
      anyone was allowed to sign up for the archery competition. I would have
      liked to give it a try. I'm pretty sure that, with my own bow, at least, I
      could have hit the target every time. Not the center, most likely, but at
      least the round part. These people were *all over* the backstop. Even the
      winner only managed to get one out of four arrows in the target. Huh.

      All in all, it was just a really neat festival. There are some things that
      they do more authentically than we do, for the most part, like armor and
      costumes, but that's because each group polices its members to make sure
      they adhere to a minimum of standards. On the other hand, the medieval
      *experience* is better in the SCA: here they use mikes and modern music
      (often nasty electronic stuff) during the tournaments, for example. At
      large events like this they also don't bother with feasts or A&S type
      displays or contests. The SCA does more to recreate an all-around medieval
      experience, to leave the modern world behind, even if our garb isn't more
      than a t-tunic and sweatpants; the SCA has more honest pageantry, I think.
      I'm not saying that it doesn't happen here - supposedly the summer event
      outside of Moscow called Alting is something along the lines of Cariodoc's
      camp at Pennsic - but I have yet to experience here that disorientating
      moment when it all becomes *real* for a while.

      As an amusing aside, I was sitting in the buffet of the youth center where
      this all took place with a bunch of my friends and one of our hosts from
      Minsk. He was talking about how he's been wanting to meet someone from the
      American anachronism club, but never managed to find a real live SCAdian in
      Belarus. My companians all smiled and introduced me as a representative of
      the SCA, and the gentleman's eyes just bugged out. He asked a few
      questions, about our structure, how the group started, how long it's been
      around, etc. - luckily, all questions I could answer! He wants to invite
      the SCA to come out to Belyi Zamok next year, but understands how hard it is
      to get people to come to Minsk, which isn't exactly a tourism hub. Any
      takers?

      -- Kseniia Smol'nyanina

      PS I'll try and post pictures at some point, but I'm not sure when I'll
      have access to a scanner.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Christine Jacobs chrstnj@...
      http://www.geocities.com/christnj
      Poet of the week: Zinaida Gippius

    • Christine Jacobs
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2001
        I can't remember if I mentioned this earlier - I do have a few photos online
        from some of our local get-togethers. They're located here:
        http://photos.yahoo.com/chrstnj Just click on "Nasledie Predkov."

        -- Kseniia
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2001
          All right, let's hear it, Kseniia -- how was it?

          -Dmitriy
        • Robert J Welenc
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2001
            >watch and to hear - so much armor, so much metal! Wow. They even
            brought
            >in a horse for the leader of the Knights Templar. (He just rode
            around a
            >little, then they took the horse back out - it wasn't involved in
            the
            >battle!)

            Good -- horses not trained to fighting would spook, not to mention
            that it might get hurt. At a recent Atlantian outdoor event, the
            queen came into court on horseback -- and just the sound of people
            shouting "Vivat!" and applause frightened the horse. I'd hate to
            think what the clashing of two armies might do!

            Alanna
            ***********
            Saying of the day: When I'm finally holding all the cards, why does
            everyone decide to play chess?
          • Robert J Welenc
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 6, 2001
              Medieval Polish Amulets, from the Polish Art Center! Too cool...
              http://www.polartcenter.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/SID=983897416.18887/page=a
              mulets.htm

              A link takes you to bigger pictures of the actual bronze amulets!
              And who can't use something that aids learning and protects you from
              false prophets?

              Alanna