Re: [sig] Temple Rings

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2001
      At 01:05 PM 2/17/01 , you wrote:
      >Yes, a couple friends of mine here in An Tir made me a set. One person
      >did the enamel work and the other did the construction and metalwork.
      >They are silver with black enamel. I think they are very cool.
      >
      >Vasilisa Myshkina

      According to the book in front of me, the enamel-work items you are
      describing are called "kolty" (kolt, singular), and the plain metal items
      are temple rings (visochnye kol'tsa). Since they both hang from a
      headdress of some sort, I guess the only difference (that we know of) is
      what they look like.

      Any way of getting a pattern or helpful hints from this gentle? I am
      planning on making some kolty at my barony's enamaling group, but extra
      help would be appreciated.

      I do not know of anyone commercially making temple rings here in the USA,
      but check out <http://www.birkatraders.com/catalog/rus.htm> for temple
      rings, lunar-shaped pendants (luniki), and other fun stuff (browse around)
      made in Australia, and
      <http://www.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/trmain/tr1main.html> for an
      article about temple rings. The prices are given in Aussie dollars, but I
      am told that even with shipping, it is cheaper than the same thing in USA
      dollars.

      --Yana
    • LiudmilaV@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2001
        In a message dated 2/17/2001 4:20:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        slavic@... writes:

        << According to the book in front of me, the enamel-work items you are
        describing are called "kolty" (kolt, singular), and the plain metal items
        are temple rings (visochnye kol'tsa). Since they both hang from a
        headdress of some sort, I guess the only difference (that we know of) is
        what they look like. >>

        Actually, they are more different from each other than that. Temple rings
        were flat metal pieces, and could be worn in the hair as well as on a
        headdress. There was a lot of regional variety in their design. For example,
        for Slovenie in Novgorod they were made as large rings with diamond-shaped
        decorations. Viatichi, residents of the Oka valley, wore seven (3 on one side
        of the face and 4 on the other) seven-bladed rings. West of them, Radimichi
        wore similar temple rings with seven beams on each. Still farther west,
        Severyanie wore temple rings made of wire spirals. In many tribes, women wore
        one or two small wire rings, while Drevlyanie, who lived in the Volyn region,
        wore multiples of such rings. In Polesie, Dregovichi wore temple rings with
        added granulated copper beads. Beginning in the XIIth century, the temple
        rings started to loose their regional specificity. For example, temple rings
        with three smooth or lacy beads, produced in Kiev, were known all over the
        Ancient Rus' territory.
        Kotly, on the other hand, were hollow metal ornaments (shaped something
        like closed clamshells or flat balls) decorated with enamel, granulation, or
        blackening, and secured to the headdress at the temples. They developed later
        than the temple rings, and were worn primarily by city women.
        Most of this information is from:
        Rabinovich, M. G. Drevnerusskaia odezhda IX-XIII vv. (Ancient Russian dress
        of IX-XIII cc.). In Rabinovich, M. G. (ed.) Drevniaia Odezhda Narodov
        Vostochnoy Evropy. Nauka, Moskow, 1986, pp. 40-62.
        (this volume also has pictures of many regional varieties of the temple rings)

        Liudmila
      • Jenn/Yana
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2001
          Thank you Liudmila, for this clarification! The book I was looking at was
          an "art book", with very little text. Nice pics, though.

          --Yana