Temple Rings

  • Christine Jacobs
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2001
      I'm sorry, I just had to brag - I just bought the most beautiful set of
      temple rings here in Moscow from a friend who casts them himself. They're
      brass or bronze (can't remember) and just gorgeous. I was just curious; is
      there anyone in the US who makes temple rings?

      -- Kseniia Smol'nyanina
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Christine Jacobs chrstnj@...
      http://www.geocities.com/christnj
      Poet of the week: Poliksena Solov'eva

    • Britta Parsons
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2001
        Yes, a couple friends of mine here in An Tir made me a set. One person
        did the enamel work and the other did the construction and metalwork.
        They are silver with black enamel. I think they are very cool.

        Vasilisa Myshkina
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Jenn/Yana
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2001
          At 01:05 PM 2/17/01 , you wrote:
          >Yes, a couple friends of mine here in An Tir made me a set. One person
          >did the enamel work and the other did the construction and metalwork.
          >They are silver with black enamel. I think they are very cool.
          >
          >Vasilisa Myshkina

          According to the book in front of me, the enamel-work items you are
          describing are called "kolty" (kolt, singular), and the plain metal items
          are temple rings (visochnye kol'tsa). Since they both hang from a
          headdress of some sort, I guess the only difference (that we know of) is
          what they look like.

          Any way of getting a pattern or helpful hints from this gentle? I am
          planning on making some kolty at my barony's enamaling group, but extra
          help would be appreciated.

          I do not know of anyone commercially making temple rings here in the USA,
          but check out <http://www.birkatraders.com/catalog/rus.htm> for temple
          rings, lunar-shaped pendants (luniki), and other fun stuff (browse around)
          made in Australia, and
          <http://www.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/trmain/tr1main.html> for an
          article about temple rings. The prices are given in Aussie dollars, but I
          am told that even with shipping, it is cheaper than the same thing in USA
          dollars.

          --Yana
        • LiudmilaV@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2001
            In a message dated 2/17/2001 4:20:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            slavic@... writes:

            << According to the book in front of me, the enamel-work items you are
            describing are called "kolty" (kolt, singular), and the plain metal items
            are temple rings (visochnye kol'tsa). Since they both hang from a
            headdress of some sort, I guess the only difference (that we know of) is
            what they look like. >>

            Actually, they are more different from each other than that. Temple rings
            were flat metal pieces, and could be worn in the hair as well as on a
            headdress. There was a lot of regional variety in their design. For example,
            for Slovenie in Novgorod they were made as large rings with diamond-shaped
            decorations. Viatichi, residents of the Oka valley, wore seven (3 on one side
            of the face and 4 on the other) seven-bladed rings. West of them, Radimichi
            wore similar temple rings with seven beams on each. Still farther west,
            Severyanie wore temple rings made of wire spirals. In many tribes, women wore
            one or two small wire rings, while Drevlyanie, who lived in the Volyn region,
            wore multiples of such rings. In Polesie, Dregovichi wore temple rings with
            added granulated copper beads. Beginning in the XIIth century, the temple
            rings started to loose their regional specificity. For example, temple rings
            with three smooth or lacy beads, produced in Kiev, were known all over the
            Ancient Rus' territory.
            Kotly, on the other hand, were hollow metal ornaments (shaped something
            like closed clamshells or flat balls) decorated with enamel, granulation, or
            blackening, and secured to the headdress at the temples. They developed later
            than the temple rings, and were worn primarily by city women.
            Most of this information is from:
            Rabinovich, M. G. Drevnerusskaia odezhda IX-XIII vv. (Ancient Russian dress
            of IX-XIII cc.). In Rabinovich, M. G. (ed.) Drevniaia Odezhda Narodov
            Vostochnoy Evropy. Nauka, Moskow, 1986, pp. 40-62.
            (this volume also has pictures of many regional varieties of the temple rings)

            Liudmila
          • Jenn/Yana
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 18, 2001
              Thank you Liudmila, for this clarification! The book I was looking at was
              an "art book", with very little text. Nice pics, though.

              --Yana