Shot in the Dark

  • Christine Jacobs
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 13, 2001
      I'm pretty sure I'm one of few SIG types over on this side of the ocean, but
      in case there are some lurkers I don't know about: Is anyone going to the
      festival in Minsk (Belorus) at the end of February? It would be neat to
      meet up with some fellow SCAdians there. :)

      -- Kseniia Smol'nyanina
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Christine Jacobs chrstnj@...
      http://www.geocities.com/chrstnj
      "Follow me, when I am no longer here." Z. Gippius

    • Mstislav Novgorodskii
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2001
        Christine Jacobs wrote:

        > I'm pretty sure I'm one of few SIG types over on this side of the ocean, but
        > in case there are some lurkers I don't know about: Is anyone going to the
        > festival in Minsk (Belorus) at the end of February? It would be neat to
        > meet up with some fellow SCAdians there. :)
        >
        > -- Kseniia Smol'nyanina

        Is this the same event for which some photos were posted last year --
        some awesome looking live-steel battles (indoors, even!). Looks like an
        interesting group.

        Mstislav
      • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2001
          Yes, it's Belyi Zamok (White Castle).
          Here's the page from last year: http://www.tgorod.go.ru/english/minsk.shtml
          They invited me but I am afraid INS is being a pain in the arse, so I won't
          be there..
          Kseniia -- how long are you planning to stay in Moscow? I might try to
          visit either this summer or the next, hopefully attend NP's Althing.

          -Dmitriy

          >From: Mstislav Novgorodskii <rem@...>

          >Christine Jacobs wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm pretty sure I'm one of few SIG types over on this side of the ocean,
          >but
          > > in case there are some lurkers I don't know about: Is anyone going to
          >the
          > > festival in Minsk (Belorus) at the end of February? It would be neat to
          > > meet up with some fellow SCAdians there. :)
          > >
          > > -- Kseniia Smol'nyanina
          >
          >Is this the same event for which some photos were posted last year --
          >some awesome looking live-steel battles (indoors, even!). Looks like an
          >interesting group.
          >
          >Mstislav

        • Christine Jacobs
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 26, 2001
            I wrote:

            > > I'm pretty sure I'm one of few SIG types over on this side of the ocean,
            but
            > > in case there are some lurkers I don't know about: Is anyone going to
            the
            > > festival in Minsk (Belorus) at the end of February? It would be neat to
            > > meet up with some fellow SCAdians there. :)

            Mstislav asked:

            > Is this the same event for which some photos were posted last year --
            > some awesome looking live-steel battles (indoors, even!). Looks like an
            > interesting group.

            Very possibly, though it could have been any number of groups or events - as
            far as I can tell, live steel is the norm here. Pretty darn scary, when
            you're used to watching rattan, but I have to admit, watching *sparks* fly
            when two swords collide is a huge adreneline rush.

            If you're interested, I have a few pictures up here:
            http://photos.yahoo.com/chrstnj Just click on "Nasledie Predkov" - that's
            my local group. No fighting shots, but some good pics of garb (they do
            mostly Scandinavian, some Rus).

            -- Kseniia Smol'nyanina
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Christine Jacobs chrstnj@...
            http://www.geocities.com/christnj
            Poet of the week: Zinaida Gippius

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 26, 2001
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 27, 2001
                "Dmitriy V. Ryaboy" wrote:

                > Yes, it's Belyi Zamok (White Castle).
                > Here's the page from last year:
                > http://www.tgorod.go.ru/english/minsk.shtml
                > They invited me but I am afraid INS is being a pain in the arse, so I
                > won't
                > be there..
                > Kseniia -- how long are you planning to stay in Moscow? I might try
                > visit either this summer or the next, hopefully attend NP's Althing.
                >
                > -Dmitriy

                Yep, that's the one -- I just had not been able to recall the name of
                it, and had misplaced the web link. Tozhe Gorod is a good site about
                Rus/Belarus re-enactors -- worth browsing even if you don't read
                Russian too well!

                Mstislav
              • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 27, 2001
                  >"Dmitriy V. Ryaboy" wrote:
                  >
                  > > Yes, it's Belyi Zamok (White Castle).
                  > > Here's the page from last year:
                  > > http://www.tgorod.go.ru/english/minsk.shtml
                  >Tozhe Gorod is a good site about
                  >Rus/Belarus re-enactors -- worth browsing even if you don't read
                  >Russian too well!
                  >
                  >Mstislav

                  By the way.. if anyone on this list who speaks Russian fluently would like
                  to translate the Gomel workshop article they have on there, a lot of people
                  will say thank you.. (hey don't look at me, I already did one on the
                  lamellar, and I am actualy trying to study this semester!).
                  And being friendly with Sasa and Dick (the webmasters) is a GREAT help if
                  you want books from Russia. Sasa is particularly skilled at international
                  book exchanges (not to make any promises for him or anything).

                  -Dmitriy