kokoshnik pearling, anyone?

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2001
      I've just started to make another round kokoshnik--the "Novgorod" style.
      Some people might want to call it a venet. I'm confused over these darn
      words. :-) I finally found 2 mm faux pearls! This is the first time I've
      ever used them. I'm using the curvilinear designs from my first kokoshnik. I
      finished the first long line tonight. I looked at it and all I could think
      was "egads, what a mess!" I pulled a needle of thread through the beads
      (again) to make the line neater. It looks a little better. How many of these
      darn things will end up on that hat? I have no idea. I drew the design on
      some interfacing, attached the material to the interfacing, and started
      beading away. I just hope the thing's wearable when I'm done!

      Isabelle de Foix
      patricia.hefner@...
      http://scholar76.tripod.com/castle2/
      Shire of Brantestone
      Kingdom of Meridies
    • Kate Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2001
        Patricia Hefner sez:

        > I've just started to make another round kokoshnik--the "Novgorod" style.

        Woo-hoo! I hear I should make me one of those, too.

        > I finished the first long line tonight. I looked at it and all I
        > could think was "egads, what a mess!" I pulled a needle of thread
        > through the beads (again) to make the line neater. It looks a little
        > better.

        Yeah, that's what I wind up doing a lot, and it does seem to help...

        You might consider couching a strand or two of gold metal thread down
        each side of the line, too. I know they did that and it might be
        partially because it helps keep the darned things in place.

        Any chance you could post a picture, or several, when you're done? I
        _know_ the Novgorod kokoshnik should look like a pillbox hat, but I
        still can't manage to get the 40's style modern hat out of my head
        long enough to visualize what it's supposed to look like...

        Kat'ryna
        --
        Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
        kate@... | and that's how everything landed...