Re: [sig] Slavigc Pagan Beliefs

  • V. J. Boitchenko
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2001
      Interesting observation! I cannot imagine square or triangular bliny. Although it is quite possible if you have special utensils.

      Yarilo was in fact the god of sun and the pagan faith of the Slavs was in fact naturalistic as well as most other pagan faiths. Interestingly the author of the article mentions the feast of Maslenitsa which is celebrated by the Orthodox only. It translates literally as "Dairy Feast" and stands for the week before the Great Lent (Cheesefare Week in English) when people are supposed to abstain from all meats but eggs and dairy are permitted. I have not heard of any other roots of the word although I am sure that the Slavs had some celebration of the Spring Equinox.

      The rest of the article was very naively. It was obviously biased towards the Eastern Slavs and the author seemed to confuse folk mythology with religion, which is not very uncommon. I would be interested in what they have to say about witchcraft however. I picked up a couple of brochures from the University at St. Petersburg last year that study witchcraft of some local groups in the North West of Russia.