Russian Royalty in An Tir

  • Maile Edey
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2001
      Greetings from Ksenia Pavlova

      Last weekend was 12th Night in An Tir and the elevation of our Prince and
      Princess to King and Queen. They stepped up in late Russian. For those who
      are interested there are afew pictures at :
      http://medtimes.org/photos/antirxiinight/gallery.htm

      The best ones (I think) are under the header "Countess Groa becomes Queen",
      but they are all good!

      In service,
      Ksenia Pavlova

      You know your child is in the SCA when:

      They have to produce a picture to prove to their
      teacher that they did in fact spend the weekend with
      the Mongols, whom the teacher insisted were all dead
    • Robert J Welenc
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2001
        At 11:18 AM 1/16/01 -0800, you wrote:
        >Greetings from Ksenia Pavlova
        >
        >Last weekend was 12th Night in An Tir and the elevation of our
        Prince and
        >Princess to King and Queen. They stepped up in late Russian. For
        those who
        >are interested there are afew pictures at :
        >http://medtimes.org/photos/antirxiinight/gallery.htm
        >
        >The best ones (I think) are under the header "Countess Groa becomes
        Queen",
        >but they are all good!

        I'm in awe of that hat...

        Is that the way the veil is supposed to be, fastened to the upper
        part of the hat? (And what do you *call* that part?) That's one of
        the reasons I've never made myself one; I wasn't clear on just
        exactly where the veil was supposed to be sewn.

        Alanna
        ***********
        Saying of the day:
        Heroes have an infinite capacity for stupidity. Thus are legends born.
      • timbo@marcon.org
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 17, 2001
          I was just lurking on the edges (and in total awe of the pictures!)
          when I couldn't help putting in my two cents. The hat styles seem to
          have been regional and the subject of quite a bit of debate as to
          what was in use during period. The viel was called an "ubrus" and the
          hat a "kokoshnik".
          Currently, the popular thinking about materials
          used in construction was a base of birch, both thin staves and the
          bark, overlayed with cloth, felt and finally, whatever expensive (or
          not so expensive) cloth covering was used. Its been my impression
          that the ubrus was probably pinned on, not so much from period
          confirmation, but for practical reasons. Variety, cleaning, different
          social functions, even foe as simple a reason as pride and ego
          requiring a fancier than usual ubrus. Think of what you would where
          to a restuarant (a nice one) as opposed to the symphony.
          There are others who are much, much better informed than I though.
          Best Regards,
          'dak

          To: sig@egroups.com
          From: Robert J Welenc <rjwelenc@...>