Re: magyar garb

  • gavrick95@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2001
      Greetings Jlona,

      My name is Gavrick Gavrilovich and I began playing with the SCA in Ann
      Arbor (during grad school). You are extremly fortunate to have Alina
      Foxwood as your dance minister. She's a wonderful person and an
      excellent instructor.

      My advice about the bio is simple: slowly work on it. It took me a
      year to come up with my first name and patronymic. Actually, I think
      I've finally figured out a suitable last name: Chudsky [chud-skee; "u"
      as in chew. Taken from Lake Chud (Peipus)]. So, in two-three years,
      I've got a very good personna with what I think is a cool name. You
      may not want to take three years, but I think it's certainly worth the
      time to sort things out.

      As research and sources go, I'm not the first scholar to ask about the
      Magyars. However, I advise you to first look at the book "Historical
      Atlas of East Central Europe" by Paul Magocsi. You find it's a good
      start to do research and you'll find lots of cool maps.

      Secondly, you should have great resources near you in Kzoo. I believe
      WMU is in Kzoo. They should have what you need in their Medieval
      collections, if not in their Eastern European section.

      Furthermore, since you're in Ann Arbor sometimes, contact Alan
      Pollard. He's the head of the Slavic and East European Division of
      the UM Library. His office is located in 110F Hatcher Grad Lib and
      his email address is "apollard@...". Alan's great and
      truthfully, I think the other librarians work miracles, too.

      Hope this serves as a good starting point for your research.

      Have an excellent day,
      Gavrick Gavrilovich (Gabriel Jones)

      PS Please pass along my best wishes to Alina and the rest of the
      Cynnabar dancing group.