Re: [sig] Greek Orthodox Christmas

  • sergius
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2001
      Thanks,and Merry Christmas to you also. The Old Orthodox celebrate today, as
      do others who follow the Julian calendar. It is my understanding that some
      of the Ukrainian churches observe the 6th of January, I'm not sure why. The
      7th Jan 01 is the Gregorian calendar equivalent of the Julian calendar 25
      December. And yes, by that reasoning New Years is next week, BUT according
      to the church observance, New Years actually occurs in September, when
      apples are ripe, for the usual reasons, the same way the night begins the
      day. Now perhaps you can see why Peter I could be given a little OOP
      sympathy for some of his reforms. Sergius Bulutnikov----- Original
      Message -----
        To my knowledge most Ukrainians in the US go under the Partriarchate of Constantinople but they celebrate according to the Old Calendar. Jan 6th is the Christmas Eve and Jan 7th is the Nativity of Christ just like in any Old Calendarist Orthodox jurisdiction. Patriarchates of Constantinople, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece celebrate according to the New Calendar (Gregorian) but also allow some parishes in the Old Calendar. Patriarchates of Jerusalem, Serbia, Moscow celebrate according to the Old Calendar only. OCA Bishops in Pennsylvania and Alaska allow both Old and New Calendar.

        In case anyone is wondering, year 2004 is not a leap year in the Old (Julian) Calendar and all Old Calendarists will celebrate Christmas on January 8th after the year 2004.