Re: [sig] Greek Orthodox Christmas

  • Shadow
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2001
      While we're on the subject...my friend wanted to go to a Greek Orthodox
      service. I called up to ask when it was & asked if it was Christmas this
      week. The person at the church said "NO, Christmas was LAST WEEK". I
      felt like such an idiot. She knew that I was just a tourist/unbeliever.
      So, when do the Greek Orthodox celebrate it, how about the Russians, can
      someone educate me on this.

      Are there any websites that might educate me on the Orthodox liturgy?

      Laura/Leya

      Igor Sucevic wrote:

      > Mir Bozji Hristos se rodiMarry Christmas to all Ortodox Christians who
      > celebrate it today.Igor Sucevic

    • sergius
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2001
        Thanks,and Merry Christmas to you also. The Old Orthodox celebrate today, as
        do others who follow the Julian calendar. It is my understanding that some
        of the Ukrainian churches observe the 6th of January, I'm not sure why. The
        7th Jan 01 is the Gregorian calendar equivalent of the Julian calendar 25
        December. And yes, by that reasoning New Years is next week, BUT according
        to the church observance, New Years actually occurs in September, when
        apples are ripe, for the usual reasons, the same way the night begins the
        day. Now perhaps you can see why Peter I could be given a little OOP
        sympathy for some of his reforms. Sergius Bulutnikov----- Original
        Message -----
          To my knowledge most Ukrainians in the US go under the Partriarchate of Constantinople but they celebrate according to the Old Calendar. Jan 6th is the Christmas Eve and Jan 7th is the Nativity of Christ just like in any Old Calendarist Orthodox jurisdiction. Patriarchates of Constantinople, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece celebrate according to the New Calendar (Gregorian) but also allow some parishes in the Old Calendar. Patriarchates of Jerusalem, Serbia, Moscow celebrate according to the Old Calendar only. OCA Bishops in Pennsylvania and Alaska allow both Old and New Calendar.

          In case anyone is wondering, year 2004 is not a leap year in the Old (Julian) Calendar and all Old Calendarists will celebrate Christmas on January 8th after the year 2004.