Re: [sig] All I need is Slavic Tribes to the West of the Steppes in the 5th c...

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
      > The Polonians were a numeroue tribe west of the steppes as well as the
      > present day Ukrainians. Its unclear what the Cossacks really were? Were they
      > a seperate entity or part of the Ukrainian people with a specific life style?
      > Many are of the opinion that they represenred a specific lifestyle rather
      > than a specific tribe or nationality.

      Well, most of the books I've read assumed that the term Cossack referred
      to a specific raiding culture, rather than the entirety of the population
      of the Ukraine or some ethnic subdivision.
      "Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
      beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"