My Introduction

  • frostdruid@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2000
      greetings all,
      i am called Jalid (Arabic for "frost", but just try to get that
      passed as a name, little did i know how futile it would be.) i
      endeavor to portray a Turkish tribesman in the very late 15oo's. a
      contemporary of the Ottoman Turk, but having more "shamanistic" and
      less Islamic influence in his upbringing. this is about as far as i
      have gotten in my decision on persona and have recently (1 year or
      so) gotten back into the sca from a long hiatus (being a Scotsman in
      Trimaris). i now live in the Dragonspine barony in the Outlands and
      enjoy the beauty of Colorado Springs mountains.
      i have found the interlibrary loan system invaluable in procuring
      several wonderful books on armor, weapons, tactics, unit
      organization, battle overviews and in some non-military topics such
      as Persian miniatures and textiles in the Topkapi museum. i am seeking
      (amongst other things) a foreign made video on the life of Timur
      mentioned on the history chan's millenium series.
      the hardest thing is picking what is relevant and what is not to
      my persona and deciding how vast or how limited my focus should be on
      garb, armor, fighting techniques, persona "kit" items, tenting and so
      on. i would like to have a little of influence from several cultures
      in the middle east and the steppes but fear that too much of an
      amalgam of cultures makes for someone who is not strong in any.
      i look so forward to recreating the persona i have selected in
      every aspect of SCAdian activities, now if only i could figure out
      the particulars of exactly what that is. hope to have a wonderful
      experience on this egroup and hope i can offer some of my knowledge
      and pick some of your brains along the way.
      Jalid