Re: [sig] All I need is Slavic Tribes to the West of the Steppes in the 5th c...

  • Dszal@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2000
      What was the basic military strategy of the mongols during their heyday?
      The Polonians were a numeroue tribe west of the steppes as well as the
      present day Ukrainians. Its unclear what the Cossacks really were? Were they
      a seperate entity or part of the Ukrainian people with a specific life style?
      Many are of the opinion that they represenred a specific lifestyle rather
      than a specific tribe or nationality.
      Wyspianski
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2000
        Hello!

        Speaking of the Ukrainians in the 5th century, neither they nor any Slavic tribes reached the territory you are interested in at that time. It was populated by Proto-Baltic tribes in the North and Ost-Gothic tribes in the South and with Ugro-Finnic tribes in what is now is most of European Russia. Do not forget the Scythians and others. The oldest Slavic people at that time would be the Sorben (Wenden) who are also known as the Serbs of the Upper and the Lower Lausitz in what is now German Saxony.

        As to the time of the Mongols, all of the Rus (which the Ukrainians make a part of) with all the Finnics included hardly made five million people. Poles may have been more numerous but still somewhere along those numbers.

        Cossaks would only appear another five centuries later.

        Yours,

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
          > The Polonians were a numeroue tribe west of the steppes as well as the
          > present day Ukrainians. Its unclear what the Cossacks really were? Were they
          > a seperate entity or part of the Ukrainian people with a specific life style?
          > Many are of the opinion that they represenred a specific lifestyle rather
          > than a specific tribe or nationality.

          Well, most of the books I've read assumed that the term Cossack referred
          to a specific raiding culture, rather than the entirety of the population
          of the Ukraine or some ethnic subdivision.
          "Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
          beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"