magyar garb

  • Lydia Revesz
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2000
      Greetings! This is my first post to this list, and I thought I'd
      introduce myself. My name is Revesz Jlona, and I currently reside in
      the Canton of Three Hills, Barony of Andelcrag, Middle Kingdom
      (that's Kalamazoo, MI) though my dancing heart resides in the Barony
      of Cynnabar (Ann Arbor, MI). I've been Hungarian all my life, but my
      persona has only been Magyar for a few months. Jlona is the daughter
      of a Magyar merchant father from either Buda or Pest, and a German
      mother from Nuernberg (can't pin down which city I love best!)
      That's about as detailed as the bio gets.

      I don't really know much about the region and history of Hungary
      (that's why I've chosen it!) so any recommendations for basic history
      texts would be greatly appreciated. What I'd really like, however,
      is sources for 10th to 12th century Magyar garb. I haven't had much
      luck yet - I found one picture from the 9th century and one from the
      16th; neither are particularly useful at this time. English text is
      of course my preference, but German runs a close second.

      Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

      Revesz Jlona
      (mka Lydia Revesz)
    • gavrick95@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2001
        Greetings Jlona,

        My name is Gavrick Gavrilovich and I began playing with the SCA in Ann
        Arbor (during grad school). You are extremly fortunate to have Alina
        Foxwood as your dance minister. She's a wonderful person and an
        excellent instructor.

        My advice about the bio is simple: slowly work on it. It took me a
        year to come up with my first name and patronymic. Actually, I think
        I've finally figured out a suitable last name: Chudsky [chud-skee; "u"
        as in chew. Taken from Lake Chud (Peipus)]. So, in two-three years,
        I've got a very good personna with what I think is a cool name. You
        may not want to take three years, but I think it's certainly worth the
        time to sort things out.

        As research and sources go, I'm not the first scholar to ask about the
        Magyars. However, I advise you to first look at the book "Historical
        Atlas of East Central Europe" by Paul Magocsi. You find it's a good
        start to do research and you'll find lots of cool maps.

        Secondly, you should have great resources near you in Kzoo. I believe
        WMU is in Kzoo. They should have what you need in their Medieval
        collections, if not in their Eastern European section.

        Furthermore, since you're in Ann Arbor sometimes, contact Alan
        Pollard. He's the head of the Slavic and East European Division of
        the UM Library. His office is located in 110F Hatcher Grad Lib and
        his email address is "apollard@...". Alan's great and
        truthfully, I think the other librarians work miracles, too.

        Hope this serves as a good starting point for your research.

        Have an excellent day,
        Gavrick Gavrilovich (Gabriel Jones)

        PS Please pass along my best wishes to Alina and the rest of the
        Cynnabar dancing group.