Re: [sig] Garb Question

  • Diane S. Sawyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2000
      --- PicsesPoet17@... wrote:
      > I have decided that I am going to Pennsic in 2001, come "ad" or
      > "pavodok" (for the russian speakers out there, I think I got this
      > right...). So I was wondering about a couple things (since I have a
      > massive amount of garb to make in the next 7 months)
      >
      > 1) What are some early period Russian styles that work well in the
      > hot Pennsic sun?

      Linen. Linen, linen, linen. Yummy stuff, breathes, looks good, is
      period... and can be had inexpensively from
      http://www.fabrics-store.com/

      I've had great success with a sarafan over a linen rubahka (I roll up
      the sleeves over my forearms and don't button the neck closed, but
      that's about my only concession to the heat).

      > 2) Are short sleeves on rubakahs period?

      Dunno, but why bother? You'll only burn that way, and you won't be
      able to wear it in cooler weather. Make the long sleeves, but keep
      them somewhat loose so you can get them up out of the way for doing
      dishes or whatever. I have my sleeves pushed up almost all the time,
      winter, spring, summer, or fall, so being able to roll sleeves is
      important to me. (I also do dishes at least three nights in our
      encampment.)

      'Dak wrote an article for Slovo on summer clothing ideas:
      http://slavic.freeservers.com/slovo/news15.html

      > 3) Any suggestions on how to modify late period russian garb for
      > boiling hot days (as I have been told to expect at pennsic)?

      Not sure about modification, but be aware that while Pennsic 28 was
      nice and mild, Pennsic 29 was actually rather cold -- I had to buy a
      hat and I slept in it! Come prepared for all sorts of weather, from
      scorching to freezing, with attendant precipitation and humidity.

      > Any other suggestions of help woul be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
      >
      > Kseniia Nikolaeva doch'

      Well, I always wear cotton-lycra bike shorts under my garb...
      prevents chafing. Bring an assortment of shoes; you'll want to
      change them frequently. Last year my feet were so swollen after the
      first couple of days that the only way I could stand guard duty at
      East Kingdom Royal was to put on a pair of lace-up boots and sorta
      force them back into shape. I was fine after that. (And guard duty
      was fun!)

      Do some walking beforehand to get into shape, if this might be an
      issue for you.

      Bring a basket or cloth scrip with you for shopping... there's just
      about everything you could ever want in the marketplace, and you'll
      want somewhere to put it.

      DRINK WATER! (And the chocolate milk from Cooper's Store. It's
      amazing.)

      Tasha

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/