Re: christmas greetings (Czech)

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2000
      Joyce wrote...

      >Is it possible to verify correctness of some of the greetings?

      OK! ;-) I shall risk looking amazingly pedantic here, but what the heck...

      >Bohemian - Vesele Vanoce
      >Czech - Prejeme Vam Vesele Vanoce a stastny Novy Rok

      Bohemian and Czech do not exist as separate languages - although an optimist
      might make an argument for the Bohemian dialect of Czech, in the same way as
      for the Moravian or other regional dialects.

      Veselé vanoce (and "vánoce" should not be capitalised) means "Merry
      Christmas".

      The phrase "pr'ejeme Vám veselé vánoce a s'tastný nový rok" (again, note
      capitalisation) literally translates as "we wish you a merry Christmas and a
      happy New Year". (NB: I have used an apostrophe after the letter to indicate
      the "hook" that should go over it, as most langauge code pages can't support
      these characters. Hopefully the normal accents will be ok....)

      Just for fun... note that "vánoce" is plural in Czech (like the word "door"
      <dver'e>). Oh.... and Slovak and Slovakian are the same, too. The correct
      word for the language is Slovak. Not speaking the lagauge, I shan't comment
      further on it!!!!!

      BTW, has someone put this collection up on the web somewhere? If so, could
      you send me the URL please? If not, I can offer a (free!) home for it among
      the glossaries on the translation pages I maintain at
      http://www.geocities.com/CzechEd

      Cheers!

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)