Fwd: Is it a piece of court dress?

  • Turrel Michelovna
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2000
      --- In Courtdress@egroups.com, Tara@c... wrote:
      I have been sent an inquiry from a textile dealer, who is very
      knowledgable, but who has run into a "mystery textile" she can't
      identify. I can't do so either, but I'm very much thinking the piece
      she has is part of a sleeve of a court dress. Here is her query:
      "I've acquired an embroidery that is waaaaay outside my areas of
      "expertise." Since I assume that you are not eager to be linking to
      sites with grossly erroneous info, I thought I'd ask your opinion.
      I've posted two pics of the mystery textile at
      http://www.marlamallett.com/e-474.htm I've guessed that it is
      probably Eastern European/Russian/Bokharan (???), but I may be way
      off. And I have not the slightest idea what the strangely shaped
      object is -- part of a costume? furnishing piece of some sort? or
      what? It has a plain muslin lining and the ends are turned inward and
      stitched. It is silk velvet with at least four kinds of metallic
      threads, and the padded embroidery is even more three-dimensional than
      it appears in the photos. It has tiny bands with looped metallic
      fringe along the top and bottom edges."

      If you know what this is, please let her know at
      "Marla Mallett" <marlam@m...>
      --- End forwarded message ---