Re: [sig] Origins of vodka?

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2000
      > A while ago I stated that vodka wasn't used in Russia as a drink until post
      > 16th cnetury, and that it was invented outside of Russia (Danes or Swedes).

      Well, _Bread and Salt_ R.E.F. Smith and David Christian. (NY: Cambridge
      University Press, 1984) talks about government-controlled vodka drinkshops
      in the 1500's. Whether it was vodka as we know it would be up for grabs.
      Certainly, multiply-distilled aqua vitae with a grain base was known in
      Europe at that time.

      "There's no use in talking when there's nobody listening, so we just ran
      away..."