Origins of vodka?

  • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2000
      A while ago I stated that vodka wasn't used in Russia as a drink until post
      16th cnetury, and that it was invented outside of Russia (Danes or Swedes).
      A recent conversation has me doubting this highly, and I do not have
      reliable sources in either direction. Anyone have any clue? I am looking
      for specifics.
      Encyclopedia Britannica says it was invented in Russia in 14th century, but
      I've found errors in it before (scary isn't it?)

      -Dmitriy Shelomianin
      "The Russian exception"

      (I was born there and I can't stand the stuff...)
    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2000
        > A while ago I stated that vodka wasn't used in Russia as a drink until
        post
        > 16th cnetury, and that it was invented outside of Russia (Danes or
        Swedes).
        > A recent conversation has me doubting this highly, and I do not have
        > reliable sources in either direction. Anyone have any clue? I am looking
        > for specifics.
        > Encyclopedia Britannica says it was invented in Russia in 14th century,
        but
        > I've found errors in it before (scary isn't it?)
        >
        > -Dmitriy Shelomianin
        > "The Russian exception"
        >
        > (I was born there and I can't stand the stuff...)

        Dmitriy--Don't feel bad, I was born in the U.S. South and can't stand
        bourbon!! :-) Seriously, I'm interested in the origins of vodka as well. I
        don't know anything about this drink, except that... I can't stand it,
        either! Yuck! But I'd like to know its history.

        Isabelle de Foix
        patricia.hefner@...
        Shire of Brantestone
        Kingdom of Meridies
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2000
          > A while ago I stated that vodka wasn't used in Russia as a drink until post
          > 16th cnetury, and that it was invented outside of Russia (Danes or Swedes).

          Well, _Bread and Salt_ R.E.F. Smith and David Christian. (NY: Cambridge
          University Press, 1984) talks about government-controlled vodka drinkshops
          in the 1500's. Whether it was vodka as we know it would be up for grabs.
          Certainly, multiply-distilled aqua vitae with a grain base was known in
          Europe at that time.

          "There's no use in talking when there's nobody listening, so we just ran
          away..."