Re: [sig] Origins of vodka?

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2000
      > A while ago I stated that vodka wasn't used in Russia as a drink until
      post
      > 16th cnetury, and that it was invented outside of Russia (Danes or
      Swedes).
      > A recent conversation has me doubting this highly, and I do not have
      > reliable sources in either direction. Anyone have any clue? I am looking
      > for specifics.
      > Encyclopedia Britannica says it was invented in Russia in 14th century,
      but
      > I've found errors in it before (scary isn't it?)
      >
      > -Dmitriy Shelomianin
      > "The Russian exception"
      >
      > (I was born there and I can't stand the stuff...)

      Dmitriy--Don't feel bad, I was born in the U.S. South and can't stand
      bourbon!! :-) Seriously, I'm interested in the origins of vodka as well. I
      don't know anything about this drink, except that... I can't stand it,
      either! Yuck! But I'd like to know its history.

      Isabelle de Foix
      patricia.hefner@...
      Shire of Brantestone
      Kingdom of Meridies
    • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2000
          > A while ago I stated that vodka wasn't used in Russia as a drink until post
          > 16th cnetury, and that it was invented outside of Russia (Danes or Swedes).

          Well, _Bread and Salt_ R.E.F. Smith and David Christian. (NY: Cambridge
          University Press, 1984) talks about government-controlled vodka drinkshops
          in the 1500's. Whether it was vodka as we know it would be up for grabs.
          Certainly, multiply-distilled aqua vitae with a grain base was known in
          Europe at that time.

          "There's no use in talking when there's nobody listening, so we just ran
          away..."