Re: [sig] Re: period eating utensils

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
      >> That is more than fair. I think kovsh sounds right, by your
      >> description--they looked to me like heavily decorated, boat-shaped
      >bowls
      >> with handles. Thank you,

      Yes, it is a kovsh. Drinking-vessels with a single handle that is
      (usually) offset vertically and runs parallel to the ovate or boat-shaped bowl.

      --Yana

      http://www.russianarts.com/fab2kovsh.html
      A silver-gilt and shaded cloisonné enamel kovsh decorated with acorns on
      dark blue background in the Pan-Slavic style. By Fabergé,
      Moscow,1896-1908, length - 3.25"
      Modern, but drool, drool.

      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc5.html
      Bratina and Kovsh Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, 16th c. Silver
      If you look at the kovsh, there is a little figure at the bottom. Probably
      meant as a suprise for the boyar who drinks all his mead! :-)

      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc4.html
      Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, first quarter of the 16th c. Silver Hammering,
      engraving, casting, gilding 17x12x5 cm; 35.5x24x5 cm
    • Olan Mikkelsen
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
        It'll have to be this weekend when I get to my home computer.

        Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
        picture archive?

        Landolf

        --- In sig@egroups.com, Britta Parsons <vasalisa@j...> wrote:
        > Landolf
        >
        > Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.
        >
        > Vasilisa
        > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Jenn/Yana
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
          >Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
          >picture archive?
          >
          >Landolf

          Sure! I always welcome pictures for the archive. And pictures for the
          photo gallery of SIG people too (hint, hint).

          --Yana, who is awaiting the end of the semester anxiously, not only because
          she will finally be graduating, but because she can update the Russian
          Knowledge Page and work on other SIG related matters. :-)