Re: [sig] period eating utensils

  • Kate Jones
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
      Jenne Heise sez:

      > > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late period?"
      > > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can I
      > > find pictures of them?
      > > Vasilisa Myshkina
      >
      > Oh dear, I'm having one of my vague moments. I _think_ one of them may be
      > in the Russian embroidery books-- Kat'ryna? Any clues?

      Erm, uhh. I'm remembering spoons but not spoon cases...I'll have to look.

      Kat'ryna
      --
      Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
      kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
        Landolf

        Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.

        Vasilisa
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Jenn/Yana
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
          >> That is more than fair. I think kovsh sounds right, by your
          >> description--they looked to me like heavily decorated, boat-shaped
          >bowls
          >> with handles. Thank you,

          Yes, it is a kovsh. Drinking-vessels with a single handle that is
          (usually) offset vertically and runs parallel to the ovate or boat-shaped bowl.

          --Yana

          http://www.russianarts.com/fab2kovsh.html
          A silver-gilt and shaded cloisonné enamel kovsh decorated with acorns on
          dark blue background in the Pan-Slavic style. By Fabergé,
          Moscow,1896-1908, length - 3.25"
          Modern, but drool, drool.

          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc5.html
          Bratina and Kovsh Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, 16th c. Silver
          If you look at the kovsh, there is a little figure at the bottom. Probably
          meant as a suprise for the boyar who drinks all his mead! :-)

          http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc4.html
          Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, first quarter of the 16th c. Silver Hammering,
          engraving, casting, gilding 17x12x5 cm; 35.5x24x5 cm
        • Olan Mikkelsen
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
            It'll have to be this weekend when I get to my home computer.

            Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
            picture archive?

            Landolf

            --- In sig@egroups.com, Britta Parsons <vasalisa@j...> wrote:
            > Landolf
            >
            > Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.
            >
            > Vasilisa
            > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • Jenn/Yana
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
              >Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
              >picture archive?
              >
              >Landolf

              Sure! I always welcome pictures for the archive. And pictures for the
              photo gallery of SIG people too (hint, hint).

              --Yana, who is awaiting the end of the semester anxiously, not only because
              she will finally be graduating, but because she can update the Russian
              Knowledge Page and work on other SIG related matters. :-)