Re: period eating utensils

  • Olan Mikkelsen
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
      <snip>
      > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late
      period?"
      > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can
      > find pictures of them?

      I have a picture of one in the catalog from the exhibit "The Land of
      the Winged Horsemen". I can scan it and send it to you, if you like.

      Landolf
    • Kate Jones
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
        Jenne Heise sez:

        > > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late period?"
        > > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can I
        > > find pictures of them?
        > > Vasilisa Myshkina
        >
        > Oh dear, I'm having one of my vague moments. I _think_ one of them may be
        > in the Russian embroidery books-- Kat'ryna? Any clues?

        Erm, uhh. I'm remembering spoons but not spoon cases...I'll have to look.

        Kat'ryna
        --
        Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
        kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
          Landolf

          Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.

          Vasilisa
          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • Jenn/Yana
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
            >> That is more than fair. I think kovsh sounds right, by your
            >> description--they looked to me like heavily decorated, boat-shaped
            >bowls
            >> with handles. Thank you,

            Yes, it is a kovsh. Drinking-vessels with a single handle that is
            (usually) offset vertically and runs parallel to the ovate or boat-shaped bowl.

            --Yana

            http://www.russianarts.com/fab2kovsh.html
            A silver-gilt and shaded cloisonné enamel kovsh decorated with acorns on
            dark blue background in the Pan-Slavic style. By Fabergé,
            Moscow,1896-1908, length - 3.25"
            Modern, but drool, drool.

            http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc5.html
            Bratina and Kovsh Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, 16th c. Silver
            If you look at the kovsh, there is a little figure at the bottom. Probably
            meant as a suprise for the boyar who drinks all his mead! :-)

            http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc4.html
            Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, first quarter of the 16th c. Silver Hammering,
            engraving, casting, gilding 17x12x5 cm; 35.5x24x5 cm
          • Olan Mikkelsen
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
              It'll have to be this weekend when I get to my home computer.

              Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
              picture archive?

              Landolf

              --- In sig@egroups.com, Britta Parsons <vasalisa@j...> wrote:
              > Landolf
              >
              > Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.
              >
              > Vasilisa
              > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • Jenn/Yana
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
                >Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
                >picture archive?
                >
                >Landolf

                Sure! I always welcome pictures for the archive. And pictures for the
                photo gallery of SIG people too (hint, hint).

                --Yana, who is awaiting the end of the semester anxiously, not only because
                she will finally be graduating, but because she can update the Russian
                Knowledge Page and work on other SIG related matters. :-)