Re: period eating utensils

  • Olan Mikkelsen
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
      --- In sig@egroups.com, Jenne Heise <jenne@m...> wrote:
      > > Spoons and knives. Wood, bone, the usual materials. No forks.
      > > Predslava.
      >
      > I've seen several very late period examples of silver, round-bowled
      spoons
      > carried in ornate leather or embroidered cases...

      The Szlachta, or nobility, in Poland carried these in their boots
      during the Hussar era (xvi-xviii centuries). Some of the cases
      contained knives and forks, too.
      I purchased a silver spoon in Germany and have made a case for it.
      The spoon has a rose motif on the handle that is supposedly from the
      time of the reign of Charlemagne.

      Landolf
    • Olan Mikkelsen
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
        <snip>
        > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late
        period?"
        > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can
        > find pictures of them?

        I have a picture of one in the catalog from the exhibit "The Land of
        the Winged Horsemen". I can scan it and send it to you, if you like.

        Landolf
      • Kate Jones
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
          Jenne Heise sez:

          > > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late period?"
          > > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can I
          > > find pictures of them?
          > > Vasilisa Myshkina
          >
          > Oh dear, I'm having one of my vague moments. I _think_ one of them may be
          > in the Russian embroidery books-- Kat'ryna? Any clues?

          Erm, uhh. I'm remembering spoons but not spoon cases...I'll have to look.

          Kat'ryna
          --
          Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
          kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
            Landolf

            Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.

            Vasilisa
            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • Jenn/Yana
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
              >> That is more than fair. I think kovsh sounds right, by your
              >> description--they looked to me like heavily decorated, boat-shaped
              >bowls
              >> with handles. Thank you,

              Yes, it is a kovsh. Drinking-vessels with a single handle that is
              (usually) offset vertically and runs parallel to the ovate or boat-shaped bowl.

              --Yana

              http://www.russianarts.com/fab2kovsh.html
              A silver-gilt and shaded cloisonné enamel kovsh decorated with acorns on
              dark blue background in the Pan-Slavic style. By Fabergé,
              Moscow,1896-1908, length - 3.25"
              Modern, but drool, drool.

              http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc5.html
              Bratina and Kovsh Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, 16th c. Silver
              If you look at the kovsh, there is a little figure at the bottom. Probably
              meant as a suprise for the boyar who drinks all his mead! :-)

              http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc4.html
              Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, first quarter of the 16th c. Silver Hammering,
              engraving, casting, gilding 17x12x5 cm; 35.5x24x5 cm
            • Olan Mikkelsen
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
                It'll have to be this weekend when I get to my home computer.

                Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
                picture archive?

                Landolf

                --- In sig@egroups.com, Britta Parsons <vasalisa@j...> wrote:
                > Landolf
                >
                > Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.
                >
                > Vasilisa
                > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
              • Jenn/Yana
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
                  >Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
                  >picture archive?
                  >
                  >Landolf

                  Sure! I always welcome pictures for the archive. And pictures for the
                  photo gallery of SIG people too (hint, hint).

                  --Yana, who is awaiting the end of the semester anxiously, not only because
                  she will finally be graduating, but because she can update the Russian
                  Knowledge Page and work on other SIG related matters. :-)