Re: [sig] period eating utensils

  • Robert J Welenc
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 3, 2000
      At 01:55 PM 12/3/00 -0500, you wrote:
      >> Spoons and knives. Wood, bone, the usual materials. No forks.
      >> Predslava.
      >
      >I've seen several very late period examples of silver, round-bowled
      spoons
      >carried in ornate leather or embroidered cases...

      But surely they had eating tools before late period -- soup and
      suchlike is damned awful difficult to eat without a spoon!

      Alanna
      ***********
      Saying of the day:
      Politics is a rotten egg; if broken, it stinks. - Russian Proverb
    • Olan Mikkelsen
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
        <snip>

        > That is more than fair. I think kovsh sounds right, by your
        > description--they looked to me like heavily decorated, boat-shaped
        bowls
        > with handles. Thank you,

        I saw several examples of this type of utinsel while I was in
        Poland. One was made out of a what looked like a large snail shell
        and the handle looked like a turtle's head. Dated xvii-xviii
        centuries.

        Landolf
      • Olan Mikkelsen
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
          --- In sig@egroups.com, Jenne Heise <jenne@m...> wrote:
          > > Spoons and knives. Wood, bone, the usual materials. No forks.
          > > Predslava.
          >
          > I've seen several very late period examples of silver, round-bowled
          spoons
          > carried in ornate leather or embroidered cases...

          The Szlachta, or nobility, in Poland carried these in their boots
          during the Hussar era (xvi-xviii centuries). Some of the cases
          contained knives and forks, too.
          I purchased a silver spoon in Germany and have made a case for it.
          The spoon has a rose motif on the handle that is supposedly from the
          time of the reign of Charlemagne.

          Landolf
        • Olan Mikkelsen
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
            <snip>
            > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late
            period?"
            > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can
            > find pictures of them?

            I have a picture of one in the catalog from the exhibit "The Land of
            the Winged Horsemen". I can scan it and send it to you, if you like.

            Landolf
          • Kate Jones
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
              Jenne Heise sez:

              > > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late period?"
              > > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can I
              > > find pictures of them?
              > > Vasilisa Myshkina
              >
              > Oh dear, I'm having one of my vague moments. I _think_ one of them may be
              > in the Russian embroidery books-- Kat'ryna? Any clues?

              Erm, uhh. I'm remembering spoons but not spoon cases...I'll have to look.

              Kat'ryna
              --
              Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
              kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
                Landolf

                Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.

                Vasilisa
                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
              • Jenn/Yana
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
                  >> That is more than fair. I think kovsh sounds right, by your
                  >> description--they looked to me like heavily decorated, boat-shaped
                  >bowls
                  >> with handles. Thank you,

                  Yes, it is a kovsh. Drinking-vessels with a single handle that is
                  (usually) offset vertically and runs parallel to the ovate or boat-shaped bowl.

                  --Yana

                  http://www.russianarts.com/fab2kovsh.html
                  A silver-gilt and shaded cloisonné enamel kovsh decorated with acorns on
                  dark blue background in the Pan-Slavic style. By Fabergé,
                  Moscow,1896-1908, length - 3.25"
                  Modern, but drool, drool.

                  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc5.html
                  Bratina and Kovsh Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, 16th c. Silver
                  If you look at the kovsh, there is a little figure at the bottom. Probably
                  meant as a suprise for the boyar who drinks all his mead! :-)

                  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc4.html
                  Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, first quarter of the 16th c. Silver Hammering,
                  engraving, casting, gilding 17x12x5 cm; 35.5x24x5 cm
                • Olan Mikkelsen
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
                    It'll have to be this weekend when I get to my home computer.

                    Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
                    picture archive?

                    Landolf

                    --- In sig@egroups.com, Britta Parsons <vasalisa@j...> wrote:
                    > Landolf
                    >
                    > Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.
                    >
                    > Vasilisa
                    > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                    > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                  • Jenn/Yana
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
                      >Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
                      >picture archive?
                      >
                      >Landolf

                      Sure! I always welcome pictures for the archive. And pictures for the
                      photo gallery of SIG people too (hint, hint).

                      --Yana, who is awaiting the end of the semester anxiously, not only because
                      she will finally be graduating, but because she can update the Russian
                      Knowledge Page and work on other SIG related matters. :-)