Re: [sig] period eating utensils

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 3, 2000
      > >>I've seen several very late period examples of silver, round-bowled
      > spoons
      > >>carried in ornate leather or embroidered cases...
      > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late period?"
      > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can I
      > find pictures of them?
      > Vasilisa Myshkina

      Oh dear, I'm having one of my vague moments. I _think_ one of them may be
      in the Russian embroidery books-- Kat'ryna? Any clues?

      "I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
      hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker
    • Robert J Welenc
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 3, 2000
        At 01:55 PM 12/3/00 -0500, you wrote:
        >> Spoons and knives. Wood, bone, the usual materials. No forks.
        >> Predslava.
        >
        >I've seen several very late period examples of silver, round-bowled
        spoons
        >carried in ornate leather or embroidered cases...

        But surely they had eating tools before late period -- soup and
        suchlike is damned awful difficult to eat without a spoon!

        Alanna
        ***********
        Saying of the day:
        Politics is a rotten egg; if broken, it stinks. - Russian Proverb
      • Olan Mikkelsen
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
          <snip>

          > That is more than fair. I think kovsh sounds right, by your
          > description--they looked to me like heavily decorated, boat-shaped
          bowls
          > with handles. Thank you,

          I saw several examples of this type of utinsel while I was in
          Poland. One was made out of a what looked like a large snail shell
          and the handle looked like a turtle's head. Dated xvii-xviii
          centuries.

          Landolf
        • Olan Mikkelsen
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
            --- In sig@egroups.com, Jenne Heise <jenne@m...> wrote:
            > > Spoons and knives. Wood, bone, the usual materials. No forks.
            > > Predslava.
            >
            > I've seen several very late period examples of silver, round-bowled
            spoons
            > carried in ornate leather or embroidered cases...

            The Szlachta, or nobility, in Poland carried these in their boots
            during the Hussar era (xvi-xviii centuries). Some of the cases
            contained knives and forks, too.
            I purchased a silver spoon in Germany and have made a case for it.
            The spoon has a rose motif on the handle that is supposedly from the
            time of the reign of Charlemagne.

            Landolf
          • Olan Mikkelsen
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
              <snip>
              > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late
              period?"
              > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can
              > find pictures of them?

              I have a picture of one in the catalog from the exhibit "The Land of
              the Winged Horsemen". I can scan it and send it to you, if you like.

              Landolf
            • Kate Jones
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
                Jenne Heise sez:

                > > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late period?"
                > > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can I
                > > find pictures of them?
                > > Vasilisa Myshkina
                >
                > Oh dear, I'm having one of my vague moments. I _think_ one of them may be
                > in the Russian embroidery books-- Kat'ryna? Any clues?

                Erm, uhh. I'm remembering spoons but not spoon cases...I'll have to look.

                Kat'ryna
                --
                Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
                kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
                  Landolf

                  Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.

                  Vasilisa
                  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                • Jenn/Yana
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
                    >> That is more than fair. I think kovsh sounds right, by your
                    >> description--they looked to me like heavily decorated, boat-shaped
                    >bowls
                    >> with handles. Thank you,

                    Yes, it is a kovsh. Drinking-vessels with a single handle that is
                    (usually) offset vertically and runs parallel to the ovate or boat-shaped bowl.

                    --Yana

                    http://www.russianarts.com/fab2kovsh.html
                    A silver-gilt and shaded cloisonné enamel kovsh decorated with acorns on
                    dark blue background in the Pan-Slavic style. By Fabergé,
                    Moscow,1896-1908, length - 3.25"
                    Modern, but drool, drool.

                    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc5.html
                    Bratina and Kovsh Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, 16th c. Silver
                    If you look at the kovsh, there is a little figure at the bottom. Probably
                    meant as a suprise for the boyar who drinks all his mead! :-)

                    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc4.html
                    Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, first quarter of the 16th c. Silver Hammering,
                    engraving, casting, gilding 17x12x5 cm; 35.5x24x5 cm
                  • Olan Mikkelsen
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
                      It'll have to be this weekend when I get to my home computer.

                      Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
                      picture archive?

                      Landolf

                      --- In sig@egroups.com, Britta Parsons <vasalisa@j...> wrote:
                      > Landolf
                      >
                      > Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.
                      >
                      > Vasilisa
                      > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                    • Jenn/Yana
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
                        >Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
                        >picture archive?
                        >
                        >Landolf

                        Sure! I always welcome pictures for the archive. And pictures for the
                        photo gallery of SIG people too (hint, hint).

                        --Yana, who is awaiting the end of the semester anxiously, not only because
                        she will finally be graduating, but because she can update the Russian
                        Knowledge Page and work on other SIG related matters. :-)