Re: [sig] period eating utensils

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 3, 2000
      > Spoons and knives. Wood, bone, the usual materials. No forks.
      > Predslava.

      I've seen several very late period examples of silver, round-bowled spoons
      carried in ornate leather or embroidered cases...
      "I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
      hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker
    • Britta Parsons
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 3, 2000
        >>I've seen several very late period examples of silver, round-bowled
        spoons
        >>carried in ornate leather or embroidered cases...

        Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late period?"
        And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can I
        find pictures of them?

        Vasilisa Myshkina
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 3, 2000
          > >>I've seen several very late period examples of silver, round-bowled
          > spoons
          > >>carried in ornate leather or embroidered cases...
          > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late period?"
          > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can I
          > find pictures of them?
          > Vasilisa Myshkina

          Oh dear, I'm having one of my vague moments. I _think_ one of them may be
          in the Russian embroidery books-- Kat'ryna? Any clues?

          "I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
          hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker
        • Robert J Welenc
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 3, 2000
            At 01:55 PM 12/3/00 -0500, you wrote:
            >> Spoons and knives. Wood, bone, the usual materials. No forks.
            >> Predslava.
            >
            >I've seen several very late period examples of silver, round-bowled
            spoons
            >carried in ornate leather or embroidered cases...

            But surely they had eating tools before late period -- soup and
            suchlike is damned awful difficult to eat without a spoon!

            Alanna
            ***********
            Saying of the day:
            Politics is a rotten egg; if broken, it stinks. - Russian Proverb
          • Olan Mikkelsen
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
              <snip>

              > That is more than fair. I think kovsh sounds right, by your
              > description--they looked to me like heavily decorated, boat-shaped
              bowls
              > with handles. Thank you,

              I saw several examples of this type of utinsel while I was in
              Poland. One was made out of a what looked like a large snail shell
              and the handle looked like a turtle's head. Dated xvii-xviii
              centuries.

              Landolf
            • Olan Mikkelsen
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
                --- In sig@egroups.com, Jenne Heise <jenne@m...> wrote:
                > > Spoons and knives. Wood, bone, the usual materials. No forks.
                > > Predslava.
                >
                > I've seen several very late period examples of silver, round-bowled
                spoons
                > carried in ornate leather or embroidered cases...

                The Szlachta, or nobility, in Poland carried these in their boots
                during the Hussar era (xvi-xviii centuries). Some of the cases
                contained knives and forks, too.
                I purchased a silver spoon in Germany and have made a case for it.
                The spoon has a rose motif on the handle that is supposedly from the
                time of the reign of Charlemagne.

                Landolf
              • Olan Mikkelsen
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
                  <snip>
                  > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late
                  period?"
                  > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can
                  > find pictures of them?

                  I have a picture of one in the catalog from the exhibit "The Land of
                  the Winged Horsemen". I can scan it and send it to you, if you like.

                  Landolf
                • Kate Jones
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
                    Jenne Heise sez:

                    > > Where have you seen these spoon cases? How late is "very late period?"
                    > > And what did the designs on them look like? What's more, where can I
                    > > find pictures of them?
                    > > Vasilisa Myshkina
                    >
                    > Oh dear, I'm having one of my vague moments. I _think_ one of them may be
                    > in the Russian embroidery books-- Kat'ryna? Any clues?

                    Erm, uhh. I'm remembering spoons but not spoon cases...I'll have to look.

                    Kat'ryna
                    --
                    Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
                    kate@... | and that's how everything landed...
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
                      Landolf

                      Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.

                      Vasilisa
                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                    • Jenn/Yana
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
                        >> That is more than fair. I think kovsh sounds right, by your
                        >> description--they looked to me like heavily decorated, boat-shaped
                        >bowls
                        >> with handles. Thank you,

                        Yes, it is a kovsh. Drinking-vessels with a single handle that is
                        (usually) offset vertically and runs parallel to the ovate or boat-shaped bowl.

                        --Yana

                        http://www.russianarts.com/fab2kovsh.html
                        A silver-gilt and shaded cloisonné enamel kovsh decorated with acorns on
                        dark blue background in the Pan-Slavic style. By Fabergé,
                        Moscow,1896-1908, length - 3.25"
                        Modern, but drool, drool.

                        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc5.html
                        Bratina and Kovsh Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, 16th c. Silver
                        If you look at the kovsh, there is a little figure at the bottom. Probably
                        meant as a suprise for the boyar who drinks all his mead! :-)

                        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6422/apc4.html
                        Novgorod, 1428-1435; Moscow, first quarter of the 16th c. Silver Hammering,
                        engraving, casting, gilding 17x12x5 cm; 35.5x24x5 cm
                      • Olan Mikkelsen
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
                          It'll have to be this weekend when I get to my home computer.

                          Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
                          picture archive?

                          Landolf

                          --- In sig@egroups.com, Britta Parsons <vasalisa@j...> wrote:
                          > Landolf
                          >
                          > Yes, a picture would be useful. Thank you.
                          >
                          > Vasilisa
                          > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                          > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                        • Jenn/Yana
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 5, 2000
                            >Yana, if I send the pics to you, too , can you put them in the
                            >picture archive?
                            >
                            >Landolf

                            Sure! I always welcome pictures for the archive. And pictures for the
                            photo gallery of SIG people too (hint, hint).

                            --Yana, who is awaiting the end of the semester anxiously, not only because
                            she will finally be graduating, but because she can update the Russian
                            Knowledge Page and work on other SIG related matters. :-)