OOP question about Russian script book

  • ssaucer@juno.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26 12:30 PM
      Would this help me to read church records written 1880-90? The ones I
      want are from Poland, but they are supposed to be written in Russian.
      Thanks,
      Ilijana Krakowska
      > The series of "Teach Yourself Books" now has a volume called
      "Beginner's Russian Script", which teaches the basics of reading Cyrillic
      (printed and handwritten) one step at a time. It's in paperback, and
      costs only $12.95. (ISBN 0-658-00950-8)<
    • Purple Kat
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26 12:50 PM
        At 11/26/2000, you wrote:
        >Would this help me to read church records written 1880-90? The ones I
        >want are from Poland, but they are supposed to be written in Russian.
        >Thanks,
        >Ilijana Krakowska

        I have heard that some records in Poland are also written in a combination
        of Latin & Polish. If the record is written in Russian, then it might also
        be written in a (Polish) phonetic version of Russian.

        Hope this hasn't confused you even more.

        Katardzyna Bochenek
      • V. J. Boitchenko
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 27 10:32 AM
          I translated matrimonial records for someone who did a family genealogical research. All of the records were handwritten and issued by the local Catholic churches, signed by the priest and all of them were in Russian. All names were spelled in Cyrillic and they were russified to some extent. For example Polish names ending with "ski" or "ska" were spelled the Russian way, i.e. "skiy" and "skaya."

          Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2000 3:30 PM
          Subject: [sig] OOP question about Russian script book

        • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2000
            On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 ssaucer@... wrote:

            > Would this help me to read church records written 1880-90? The ones I
            > want are from Poland, but they are supposed to be written in Russian.

            You might ask for help through the Polish Genealogical Society of
            America. They have a website at http://www.pgsa.org/

            --Walraven