Lady's right

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2000
      Kamle asked...

      >I do have a question: is there a title equivalent to "Lady" used
      >in the 16th century? If so, does anyone know what it is?

      One title which I have recently found used in Bohemia for women who who were
      mistresses of estates in their own right (i.e. not by marriage, but by
      inheritance) in the 16th/17th centuries is "svobodna pani". The male
      equivalent "svobodny pan" is probably best thought of in the sense of the
      English 'Baron' (rather than in the sense of French untitled lords like the
      Sire de Coucy). I have no idea what the SCA considers acceptable though, and
      I'm afraid I don't have a period use of either term.

      Cheers!

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)