Russian name help

  • AKC7
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8, 2000
      Can anyone tell me if this is improper? I've been looking into a
      name, and well... I found something I like although I'm confused. I
      had been thinking of "Mrakota Kos" which means Dark scyth, although.....
      For a name I can't say that's period (13th Cent.) with the way I'm using
      it etc.
      But if anyone could help me out that would be great.

      thanks,
      Andrew
    • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2000
        Doesn't sound right to me at all, but I've been wrong before.
        But it doesn't sound right to me *at all*.
        But then again, I've been wrong.

        Arrgh see what Paul did to me?? :)

        Speaking of Paul, check
        http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2/knowledge/names.html for a link to his
        dictionary (there is a new edition out, but not available through the web)
        as well as a great compilation of birch-bark names by Predslava.

        -Dmitriy Shelomianin

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • LiudmilaV@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 8, 2000
          In a message dated 11/8/2000 1:18:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          AKC7@... writes:

          << I had been thinking of "Mrakota Kos" which means Dark scyth, although.....
          For a name I can't say that's period (13th Cent.) with the way I'm using
          it etc. >>

          Are you looking for a Russian name? In that case, you probably can't do a
          two-word combination in Native Americans style, which is what your choice
          appears to be. It looks like you searched Paul's dictionary, since both
          words are listed there, but maybe you overlooked hus discussion of name
          construction?

          What I can tell you, though, as a native Russian speaker, is that "Mrakota
          Kos" is not a proper Russian phrase because both words are nouns.

          Liudmila
        • MHoll@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 8, 2000
            In a message dated 11/8/2000 3:41:40 PM Central Standard Time,
            dvryaboy@... writes:

            > Doesn't sound right to me at all, but I've been wrong before.
            > But it doesn't sound right to me *at all*.
            > But then again, I've been wrong.
            >

            > Arrgh see what Paul did to me?? :)

            Doesn't to me either, and I'm not wrong quite so often. ;-) The grammar is
            incorrect, and if it were correct, it would mean "darkness of the scythes",
            which would not make sense.

            Liudmila is right, two-word names are *extremely* (and that's *EXTREMELY*)
            rare. Those that do appear in sources are not numerous enough for us to
            derive a construction, or a pattern of usage: who? when? why? used it...

            I strongly recommend for people to look up existing names. For one thing, you
            avoid the documenting headache if you decide to register it. For another
            thing, you avoid headaches and hassles if you stick with it, then later want
            to register it, get the registering headaches, get it refused, and have to go
            around telling everyone that your name has changed.

            And of course, by doing it right, not only do you avoid being picked on by
            the Authenticity Police (repressed on the present List), but you get to tell
            the AP wannabes that you actually knew what you were doing, and so they
            should go bother someone else.

            Of course, my favorite argument in favor of picking a name according to
            clearly established patterns is that you have to immerse yourself in those
            patterns and start thinking like your (future?) persona.

            All right, all right, I'll get off my soapbox, it's just that I haven't
            indulged in a while, and well...

            OK, OK.

            Predslava.
            Off her soapbox. For now.
          • AKC7
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 10, 2000
              Thanks all, *lol* that one was shot down pretty fast. ;-)
              Okay, thanks for the advice, I guess I'll have to spend some more time
              in Paul's book (web site).

              I'm excited at the prospect of a class at my local shire where I'll
              be able to work on garb. So I'm gonna have to document some more on
              clothing, but I also have a neat-o video by Sergei Eisenstein (Alexander
              Nevsky), and I love it. Its great to see all the ideas for garb, but I
              wish the video was in color *lol*. Anyway, does anyone have any
              suggestions as to what I will need? example, cloth? any ideas to what
              I should make? This class is at the end of the month, so I have some
              time to get the materials. But I couldn't sew to save my life.

              thanks,
              Andrew
            • Diane S. Sawyer
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 10, 2000
                --- AKC7 <AKC7@...> wrote:
                {snip}
                > Anyway, does anyone have any
                > suggestions as to what I will need? example, cloth? any ideas to
                > what
                > I should make? This class is at the end of the month, so I have
                > some
                > time to get the materials. But I couldn't sew to save my life.
                >

                > thanks,
                > Andrew

                Linen. Linen is a goodness. It's comfy, great to sew, breathes,
                it's period, and did I mention it's comfy? Doesn't hold strong color
                really well, but I'm okay with that. I have a few online sources for
                linen at reasonable prices.

                Wool. It also breathes, and it doesn't have to be scratchy. The
                more you learn about it, the better you'l like it. It can be hard to
                find at really affordable prices, though.

                Don't be intimidated by sewing. You're just building something using
                different materials (fabric), fasteners (thread), and power tools(a
                sewing machine) than you're used to.

                I have some links to Russian and Viking resources here:
                http://www.farreaches.org/~tasha/garblinks.html and
                http://www.farreaches.org/~tasha/netgarblinks.html

                Enjoy!

                Tasha

                http://shopping.yahoo.com/
              • AKC7
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2001
                  Alright, I've pretty close to finishing my name, or so I hope. I
                  even got the SCA papers to register.

                  How does this look,

                  Kuzma Dragoslav syn Bronislav
                  {baptismal name, everyday or common first name, and then patronymic}

                  I hope I have not done something wrong,

                  thanks for any help,
                  Andrew
                • Jenn/Yana
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2, 2001
                    Paul here (using Yana's account)

                    At 02:30 PM 4/2/01 , you wrote:
                    > Alright, I've pretty close to finishing my name, or so I hope. I
                    >even got the SCA papers to register.
                    >
                    >How does this look,
                    >
                    > Kuzma Dragoslav syn Bronislav
                    > {baptismal name, everyday or common first name, and then patronymic}

                    You _might_ be able to claim that syn Bronislav was an unmarked
                    patronymic, but why not be grammatical and go with:

                    Kuzma Dragoslav Bronislavov syn

                    ... that would work better...

                    -- Paul (returning you to my zhena groznaia)
                  • Art Plazewski
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2, 2001
                      Shold be :
                      Kuzma Dragoslav syn Bronislava or to be more Russian ;
                      Dragoslav Bronislavovicz Kuzma.
                      Art.