Re: [sig] A great book re: nomad warriors.

  • Barcsi Janos
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2000
      --- Shadow <shadow42@...> wrote:

      >You had mentioned the book 'Armies of the Dark Ages'. which nations/tribes did that book cover? It seems like it
      >would have to cover all of Europe.
      >I could order it from a used bookstore, but it's hard to buy a book when you can't look at it beforehand

      There are two books I refer to frequently on this list. Neither is an advanced, scholarly work, but both are well researched and provide basic information of a martial nature within their areas of interest. Both are by Ian Heath, published by Wargames Research Group (WRG), printed by Flexiprint Ltd., Worthing, Sussex UK. Dates of publication are provided with the names. They are part of a series (I also have one on Ancient China, but it�s in storage...it mentions the Hsung Nui but otherwise is probably out of the scope of this list).

      Both books focus on the military -- tactics, battles, armor, and military structure -- although their is some spill-over of the political infrastructure, such as it was in those days. The have a drawings of soldiers from the armies covered followed by a description of moderate length.

      ARMIES OF THE DARK AGES 600-1066 (publ. 1980): Covers the Byzantine, Pictish, Irish, Visigothic, Lombard, Merovingian, Carolingian, Ottonian (early German), Viking, Russian, Slav (mostly northern and western Slavs), Avar, Khazar, Magyar, Bulgar, Pecheneg, Ghuzz, Alan, Armenian, Sassanid (Persian), Arab, Andalusian, Near Eastern, Saxon, Norman, Italian, and Spanish armies.

      ARMIES OF FEUDAL EUROPE 1066-1300 (publ. 1978): Covers the French, English, Scottish, Irish, Scandanavian, Spanish, Andalusian, Moroccan, Italian, Papal, Venetian, Sicilian, Imperialist (HRE), Teutonic Knight, Polish, Hungarian, and Russian armies.

      Janos

      ==
      The Honorable Lord
      SOV�NY BARCSI J�NOS
      c/o LTC J. C. Smith
      HQ USAREUR/7A
      CMR 420, BOX 2839
      APO AE 09063-283

      anytime 4.9 cents per minute long distance
      http://ld.net/?tcluigis
    • timbo@marcon.org
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2000
        There are two books I refer to frequently on this list. Neither is an advanced, scholarly work, but both are well researched and provide basic information of a martial nature within their areas of iBoth books focus on the military -- tactics, battles, a
        rmor, and military structure -- although their is some spill-over of the political infrastructure, such as it was in those days. The have a dra
        ARMIES OF THE DARK AGES 600-1066 (publ. 1980): Covers the Byzantine, Pictish, Irish, Visigothic, Lombard, Merovingian, Carolingian, Ottonian (early German), Viking, Russian, Slav (mostly northern an
        ARMIES OF FEUDAL EUROPE 1066-1300 (publ. 1978): Covers the French, English, Scottish, Irish, Scandanavian, Spanish, Andalusian, Moroccan, Italian, Papal, Venetian, Sicilian, Imperialist (HRE), Teuto

        I have had excellent luck in finding and having items immediately
        shipped to me by: www.lastsquare.com
        It's in Madison, WI. , like Paul & Yana.
        'dak