Re: [sig] A great book re: nomad warriors.

  • Josh Uretsky
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2000

      >including: Huns, Finns, Pechenegs, Khazars, Khirghiz, Uighurs, Mongols, and

      How much stuff does it have on the Khazars? Any pictuers of
      armour besides chain maile? Any clothing references at all?

      Samuil

      --------

      His eyen arn of cristal,
      Loken all in aumber;

      Josh Uretsky
    • Shadow
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2000
        Hi Josh,

        > >including: Huns, Finns, Pechenegs, Khazars, Khirghiz, Uighurs, Mongols, and
        >
        > How much stuff does it have on the Khazars? Any pictuers of
        > armour besides chain maile? Any clothing references at all?
        >
        > Samuil

        Not as much as I'd like!
        There is a plate of "the Khazar Kaganate" including
        1. Alan nobleman (apparently the Alans were allies) 2. "khazar cavalryman" who
        wears a full suit of chain mail (they must have been pretty good at making chain
        mail. My fictional Khazar protagonist spends 6 months working in a chain-mail
        shop in Sarkel.) 3. Muslim mercenary from Khwarezim.

        To try & describe: the warrior wears a coat-like suit of chain mail which goes
        to about the knees. He wears shin-guard type things on arms & legs, and a
        one-piece helmet with a nose guard and it comes to a point on top.There is a
        mail piece coming down from the back of the helmet to protect the
        neck/shoulders. The clothing that is visible is a simple tunic & trousers. The
        Muslim mercenary wears a shorter suit of mail including a big piece that covers
        most of his face, and big pantaloon trousers.

        Quoting briefly:
        "The long-haired massed tribal cavalry of the early days...were supplanted by
        heavily armed horsemen with swords & lances. The armor
        helmets, mail hauberks and lamellar cuirasses formed a standing army of fulltime
        professionals. The later Khazar army included 7,000 Muslilm mercenaries..." and
        "Khazar mercenaries also fought for Byzantium on many occasions."

        This book also deals with many other nomad groups & just gives a general
        overview of their history & battles. It is about a 50 page book.
        So as far as regular old pix of Khazar garb, this isn't much help.

        Laura/Leya sher Kimmer
      • Barcsi Janos
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2000
          Yup, it's a good one. I got it during the summer. Too bad they past the Magyars with just a mention, though.

          Janos

          --- Shadow <shadow42@...>
          > wrote:

          >I'd like to brag about an awesome book I got about the Nomadic Warriors.
          >It's called "Atilla and the Nomad Hordes". It's one of those 'men at arms'
          >books which contains beautiful plates of the fighters in many tribes....

          ==
          The Honorable Lord
          SOV�NY BARCSI J�NOS
          c/o LTC J. C. Smith
          HQ USAREUR/7A
          CMR 420, BOX 2839
          APO AE 09063-283

          anytime 4.9 cents per minute long distance
          http://ld.net/?tcluigis
        • Shadow
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2000
            Barcsi Janos wrote:

            > Yup, it's a good one. I got it during the summer. Too bad they past the Magyars with just a mention, though.
            >
            > Janos

            hey you're RIGHT, what a big omission!!
            You had mentioned the book 'Armies of the Dark Ages". which nations/tribes did that book cover? It seems like it
            would have to cover all of Europe.
            I could order it from a used bookstore, but it's hard to buy a book when you can't look at it beforehand

            Laura
          • Barcsi Janos
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 8, 2000
              --- Shadow <shadow42@...> wrote:

              >You had mentioned the book 'Armies of the Dark Ages'. which nations/tribes did that book cover? It seems like it
              >would have to cover all of Europe.
              >I could order it from a used bookstore, but it's hard to buy a book when you can't look at it beforehand

              There are two books I refer to frequently on this list. Neither is an advanced, scholarly work, but both are well researched and provide basic information of a martial nature within their areas of interest. Both are by Ian Heath, published by Wargames Research Group (WRG), printed by Flexiprint Ltd., Worthing, Sussex UK. Dates of publication are provided with the names. They are part of a series (I also have one on Ancient China, but it�s in storage...it mentions the Hsung Nui but otherwise is probably out of the scope of this list).

              Both books focus on the military -- tactics, battles, armor, and military structure -- although their is some spill-over of the political infrastructure, such as it was in those days. The have a drawings of soldiers from the armies covered followed by a description of moderate length.

              ARMIES OF THE DARK AGES 600-1066 (publ. 1980): Covers the Byzantine, Pictish, Irish, Visigothic, Lombard, Merovingian, Carolingian, Ottonian (early German), Viking, Russian, Slav (mostly northern and western Slavs), Avar, Khazar, Magyar, Bulgar, Pecheneg, Ghuzz, Alan, Armenian, Sassanid (Persian), Arab, Andalusian, Near Eastern, Saxon, Norman, Italian, and Spanish armies.

              ARMIES OF FEUDAL EUROPE 1066-1300 (publ. 1978): Covers the French, English, Scottish, Irish, Scandanavian, Spanish, Andalusian, Moroccan, Italian, Papal, Venetian, Sicilian, Imperialist (HRE), Teutonic Knight, Polish, Hungarian, and Russian armies.

              Janos

              ==

            • timbo@marcon.org
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 9, 2000
                There are two books I refer to frequently on this list. Neither is an advanced, scholarly work, but both are well researched and provide basic information of a martial nature within their areas of iBoth books focus on the military -- tactics, battles, a
                rmor, and military structure -- although their is some spill-over of the political infrastructure, such as it was in those days. The have a dra
                ARMIES OF THE DARK AGES 600-1066 (publ. 1980): Covers the Byzantine, Pictish, Irish, Visigothic, Lombard, Merovingian, Carolingian, Ottonian (early German), Viking, Russian, Slav (mostly northern an
                ARMIES OF FEUDAL EUROPE 1066-1300 (publ. 1978): Covers the French, English, Scottish, Irish, Scandanavian, Spanish, Andalusian, Moroccan, Italian, Papal, Venetian, Sicilian, Imperialist (HRE), Teuto

                I have had excellent luck in finding and having items immediately
                shipped to me by: www.lastsquare.com
                It's in Madison, WI. , like Paul & Yana.
                'dak