Skanzen

  • ssaucer@juno.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2000
      > FWIW the Czech word for "open-air muzeum" is <skanzen>!

      INTERESTING!
      There is (or was 30 years ago) suck a "park" in or near Stockholm. It was
      called Skansen Park. It had a small cottage that I believe was about 400
      years old at thet time. There were folk dancing festivals and various
      other cultural events during tourist season. I don't really remember
      anything else about it.
      Ilijana Krakowska
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000
        Ilijana wrote...

        >There is (or was 30 years ago) suck a "park" in
        >or near Stockholm. It was called Skansen Park.

        A quick dive into my 'Akademicky slovnik cizich slov' (Prague, Academia,
        1995) confirms that the Czech word comes from the proper name. Isn't it used
        in other languages as well, though? German, maybe?

        Alastair

        ---------------------------
        Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)
      • Olan Mikkelsen
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2000
          There are several 'skansen' in Poland. I didn't get a chance to see
          any of them while I was there, though.
          Landolf
          P.S. I was the steward for an equestrian event this weekend. There
          are some pics at: http://www.cs.usu.edu/~watson/coteduciel/equestrian
          I'm the fuzzy one in the furry hat on the bottom row of pics.

          --- In sig@egroups.com, "Alastair Millar" <alastair@i...> wrote:
          > Ilijana wrote...
          >
          > >There is (or was 30 years ago) suck a "park" in
          > >or near Stockholm. It was called Skansen Park.
          >
          > A quick dive into my 'Akademicky slovnik cizich slov' (Prague,
          Academia,
          > 1995) confirms that the Czech word comes from the proper name.
          Isn't it used
          > in other languages as well, though? German, maybe?
          >
          > Alastair
          >
          > ---------------------------
          > Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)
          > Consultancy and translation for the heritage industry
          > e-mail: alastair@i..., http://www.skriptorium.cz
          > P.O.Box 685, CZ 111 21 Prague 1, Czech Republic
        • Diane S. Sawyer
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2000
            --- Olan Mikkelsen <landolf@...> wrote:
            > There are several 'skansen' in Poland. I didn't get a chance to
            > see
            > any of them while I was there, though.
            > Landolf
            > P.S. I was the steward for an equestrian event this weekend. There
            >
            > are some pics at:
            > http://www.cs.usu.edu/~watson/coteduciel/equestrian
            > I'm the fuzzy one in the furry hat on the bottom row of pics.

            Oo. Horsies. I'm sending this to my household sister, who is the EK
            Equestrian WebMinister and avowed horse nut. I love em too, but
            don't have time/money for lessons (gotta get that black belt before I
            take up another sport!). Thanks, Landolf!

            Tasha

            http://shopping.yahoo.com/