Romanian name - Elisabeta

  • Robert J Welenc
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 3, 2000
      Greetings, gentle cousins!

      I am looking for documentation for the Romanian form of 'Elizabeth'
      and am not finding a whole lot of information on Romanian names.

      The client believes it to be 'Elisabeta', which seems to be a logical
      form.

      Alanna
      ***********
      Saying of the day:
      Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
    • bmccoy@chapelperilous.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2000
        On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Robert J Welenc wrote:

        > I am looking for documentation for the Romanian form of 'Elizabeth'
        > and am not finding a whole lot of information on Romanian names.
        >
        > The client believes it to be 'Elisabeta', which seems to be a logical
        > form.

        I've seen both 'Elisabeta' and 'Elisaveta' used in reference to Sucevita
        Monastery in Romania (near Punta, at the edge of the Carpathinas) and a
        16th century woman of that name to whom the monastery was dedicated to --
        she apparently murdered her husband so her two sones could inherit the
        throne.

        Check out this:

        http://www.rotravel.com/romania/monasteries/sucev.htm

        That should get you started.

        Istvan
        http://www.chapelperilous.net
        Life is a hospital in which every patient is possessed by the desire to
        change his bed.
        -- Charles Baudelaire
      • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 24, 2000
          The series of "Teach Yourself Books" now has a volume called "Beginner's
          Russian Script", which teaches the basics of reading Cyrillic (printed and
          handwritten) one step at a time. I've always had trouble with Cyrillic,
          and the book has helped me already, even though I've only had it a few
          days. I'd recommend it for anyone wanting to learn a language (such as
          Russian) that uses Cyrillic, or for anyone wanting to teach a class on the
          subject. It's in paperback, and costs only $12.95. (ISBN 0-658-00950-8)

          --Walraven
        • Britta Parsons
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 24, 2000
            The "Teach Yourself" series is pretty good; anyone know if there is an
            equivalent for learning Old Church Slavonic?

            Vasilisa Myshkina
            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • MHoll@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 24, 2000
              In a message dated 11/24/2000 9:35:08 PM Central Standard Time,
              vasalisa@... writes:

              > The "Teach Yourself" series is pretty good; anyone know if there is an
              > equivalent for learning Old Church Slavonic?

              No, I think they're only for modern languages.

              Predslava.
            • timbo@marcon.org
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 25, 2000
                A friend sent me this.

                HOT GAME OF THE DAY
                European Wars: Cossacks
                Go to war in 16th century Europe
                http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?62734:1743488
              • V. J. Boitchenko
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 26, 2000
                  I know there is a Church Slavonic E-Tutor web site at

                  I do not know if it is any good since I speak Russian and have a good command of Church Slavonic and the Tutor starts from the very basics, and as far as I understand, it is targeted to English speaking audience. I heard that it is rather good though.

                  There are also various resources on the internet where you can download fonts for Church Slavonic and Slavonic style English fonts.

                  yours,

                  Sent: Friday, November 24, 2000 10:30 PM
                  Subject: Re: [sig] Russian Script

                  The "Teach Yourself" series is pretty good; anyone know if there is an
                  equivalent for learning Old Church Slavonic?

                  Vasilisa Myshkina
                  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                  Join Juno today!  For your FREE software, visit:
                  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

                • V. J. Boitchenko
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 26, 2000
                    Dmitriy!

                    To the best of my knowledge the Old Russian has never been codified. Besides that, there would be different stages in the development of the Old Russian and it would be very difficult to do.

                    As to Church Slavonic, there are all kinds of synodal editions and their translations into English. I can only suggest that you browse the web or if you are on the East Coast by any chance you can check at any of the three Russian seminaries whichever one is closest to you. Many church websites will provide various links for book stores as well.

                    I would never recommend anyone with no knowledge of Russian or any other Slavic language to try more than reading rules.

                    Best wishes,

                    Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2000 7:08 PM

                    I looked at the site http://www.orthodoxepubsoc.org/ and the descrption says
                    that it only teaches how to pronounce prayers and such, but does not teach
                    vocabularly or grammar.  Probably useful for american orthodox, but not for
                    us..
                    Do you know by any chance a good church slavonic tutorial or textbook in
                    (modern) Russian?  Russian is my native language, print or internet is
                    equally good.  I found this: http://chslav.hypermart.net/ while writing the
                    e-mail, has anyone used the stuff there?

                    Same question, but for Old Russian (Drevnerusskiy)?

                    -Dmitriy
                       Shelomianin(SCA)
                       Ryaboy (Mundanely)

                    Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com