Re: [sig] Vlachs

  • catweasle
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
      Thanks a lot Patricia!

      Since I posted to the group I have found the following reference in the
      Encyclopaedia Britannica which I include below.
      The Vlachs that I came across in the Czech Republic are obviously a small
      pocket of these people which ended up in northern Moravia where I was.
      Thanks for your research and your interest.

      Best wishes,

      Catweasle.

      Vlachs - also called ROMANIAN, or RUMAN, member of a European people
      constituting the major element in the populations of Romania and Moldova, as
      well as smaller groups located throughout the Balkan Peninsula, south and
      west of the Danube River. Although their Slav neighbours gave them the name
      Volokh, from which the term Vlach is derived, the Vlachs call themselves
      Romani, Romeni, Rumeni, or Aromani.
      The Vlachs emerged into history in the European Middle Ages, primarily in
      the region south of the Danube. They traditionally claim to be descendants
      of the ancient Romans who in the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD occupied Dacia, a
      Roman province located in the regions of Transylvania and the Carpathian
      Mountains of modern Romania. Another theory suggests that their ancestors
      were a Thracian tribe, native to the Roman province of Dacia, which
      intermarried with the Roman colonists and assimilated their language and
      culture. After the Romans evacuated Dacia (AD 271), the area was subjected
      to a series of barbarian invasions. According to some scholars, the
      Romanized Dacians remained in the area, probably taking refuge in the
      Carpathian Mountains. They remained there for several centuries as shepherds
      and primitive farmers, until conditions settled and they returned to the
      plains.

      The Romanized Dacian population may have moved south of the Danube when the
      Romans left Dacia. After the barbarian invasions subsided, the Vlachs, seen
      in this theory as a later group of immigrants, moved into the area from
      their Romanized homelands south of the Danube or elsewhere in the Balkans.
      This theory cites the major role the Vlachs played in the formation and
      development of the Second Bulgarian Empire (also known as the Empire of
      Vlachs and Bulgars; founded 1184) as evidence that the centre of the Vlach
      population had shifted south of the Danube.

      By the 13th century the Vlachs were re-established in the lands north of the
      Danube, including Transylvania, where they constituted the bulk of the
      peasant population. From Transylvania they migrated to Walachia ("Land of
      the Vlachs") and Moldavia, which became independent principalities in the
      13th and 14th centuries and combined to form Romania at the end of the 19th
      century.

      Other Vlachs migrated to other regions of the Balkan Peninsula. The
      Macedo-Vlachs, or Tzintzars, settled on the mountains of Thessaly. According
      to the 12th-century Byzantine historian Anna Comnena, they founded the
      independent state of Great Walachia, which covered the southern and central
      Pindus Mountain ranges and part of Macedonia. (After the establishment of
      the Latin Empire at Constantinople in 1204, Great Walachia was absorbed by
      the Greek Despotate of Epirus; later it was annexed by the Serbs, and in
      1393 it fell to the Turks.) Another Vlach settlement, called Little
      Walachia, was located in Aetolia and Acarnania. In addition, Vlachs known as
      Morlachs, or Mavrovlachi, inhabited areas in the mountains of Montenegro,
      Hercegovina, and northern Albania as well as on the southern coast of
      Dalmatia, where they founded Ragusa (modern Dubrovnik). In the 14th century
      some Morlachs moved northward into Croatia. In the 15th century others,
      later called Cici, settled in the Istrian Peninsula.

      Copyright 1994-1998 Encyclopaedia Britannica