Re: [sig] Vlachs

  • catweasle
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
      Hi Folks!

      I am a new member and wonder if anybody knows anything about a mountain
      people who live in the north east Czech republic who are called by the local
      Czechs - Vlachs?
      I saw some on a recent visit there and from what I was told concluded that
      they are the remnants of an immigration of people who came from Wallachia
      (Romania,) hundreds of years ago. They have their own language which
      presumably is a dialect of Romanian. They have a distinctive national dress
      and in particular an unusually shaped traditional 'mountain axe' and a very
      wide leather belt both of which are considered very significant in there
      culture. The live (or lived,) in strange triangular shaped houses which
      are in effect large covered sledges, for they are/were dragged by horses or
      oxen up the mountains during the summers and down again during the winter
      months.
      I have searched my usual sources but cannot find any more information about
      them.
      Perhaps someone on the list knows something about them?

      Best wishes,

      Catweasle.
    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000

        > I am a new member and wonder if anybody knows anything about a mountain
        > people who live in the north east Czech republic who are called by the
        local
        > Czechs - Vlachs?
        > I saw some on a recent visit there and from what I was told concluded that
        > they are the remnants of an immigration of people who came from Wallachia
        > (Romania,) hundreds of years ago. They have their own language which
        > presumably is a dialect of Romanian. They have a distinctive national
        dress
        > and in particular an unusually shaped traditional
        <snip>

        > Best wishes,
        >
        > Catweasle.
        >

        > There is alot of controversy over just who the heck the Vlachs were. I'm
        not familiar with the theory that they live in what is now the Czech
        Republic. The name is used for the people who live in Wallachia, now part of
        Romania. The main thrust of the controversy is the ancestry, or origin of
        these people. There's one theory that they are descended from ancient Roman
        settlers (thus the modern name Romania), and other theories that they came
        from somewhere else. Some people even claim that the name "Vlach" was an
        occupational name--someone dug up an etymology from a word meaning
        "shepherd". Still others claim that the word comes from a Greek word for
        "wanderer", presumably to back up the theory that they came from somewhere
        else and did not originally live where they do now. This is a very
        controversial topic with alot of political implications in it. None of these
        opinions are mine; they came from somewhere else, too!! :-)

        Isabelle de Foix
        patricia.hefner@...

      • Gordan Ravancic
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
          Hi!
          Go to
          www.friesian.com/romania.htm
          and there you can find something about Vlachs.
          servus humilis
          gordan
        • catweasle
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
            Thanks a lot Patricia!

            Since I posted to the group I have found the following reference in the
            Encyclopaedia Britannica which I include below.
            The Vlachs that I came across in the Czech Republic are obviously a small
            pocket of these people which ended up in northern Moravia where I was.
            Thanks for your research and your interest.

            Best wishes,

            Catweasle.

            Vlachs - also called ROMANIAN, or RUMAN, member of a European people
            constituting the major element in the populations of Romania and Moldova, as
            well as smaller groups located throughout the Balkan Peninsula, south and
            west of the Danube River. Although their Slav neighbours gave them the name
            Volokh, from which the term Vlach is derived, the Vlachs call themselves
            Romani, Romeni, Rumeni, or Aromani.
            The Vlachs emerged into history in the European Middle Ages, primarily in
            the region south of the Danube. They traditionally claim to be descendants
            of the ancient Romans who in the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD occupied Dacia, a
            Roman province located in the regions of Transylvania and the Carpathian
            Mountains of modern Romania. Another theory suggests that their ancestors
            were a Thracian tribe, native to the Roman province of Dacia, which
            intermarried with the Roman colonists and assimilated their language and
            culture. After the Romans evacuated Dacia (AD 271), the area was subjected
            to a series of barbarian invasions. According to some scholars, the
            Romanized Dacians remained in the area, probably taking refuge in the
            Carpathian Mountains. They remained there for several centuries as shepherds
            and primitive farmers, until conditions settled and they returned to the
            plains.

            The Romanized Dacian population may have moved south of the Danube when the
            Romans left Dacia. After the barbarian invasions subsided, the Vlachs, seen
            in this theory as a later group of immigrants, moved into the area from
            their Romanized homelands south of the Danube or elsewhere in the Balkans.
            This theory cites the major role the Vlachs played in the formation and
            development of the Second Bulgarian Empire (also known as the Empire of
            Vlachs and Bulgars; founded 1184) as evidence that the centre of the Vlach
            population had shifted south of the Danube.

            By the 13th century the Vlachs were re-established in the lands north of the
            Danube, including Transylvania, where they constituted the bulk of the
            peasant population. From Transylvania they migrated to Walachia ("Land of
            the Vlachs") and Moldavia, which became independent principalities in the
            13th and 14th centuries and combined to form Romania at the end of the 19th
            century.

            Other Vlachs migrated to other regions of the Balkan Peninsula. The
            Macedo-Vlachs, or Tzintzars, settled on the mountains of Thessaly. According
            to the 12th-century Byzantine historian Anna Comnena, they founded the
            independent state of Great Walachia, which covered the southern and central
            Pindus Mountain ranges and part of Macedonia. (After the establishment of
            the Latin Empire at Constantinople in 1204, Great Walachia was absorbed by
            the Greek Despotate of Epirus; later it was annexed by the Serbs, and in
            1393 it fell to the Turks.) Another Vlach settlement, called Little
            Walachia, was located in Aetolia and Acarnania. In addition, Vlachs known as
            Morlachs, or Mavrovlachi, inhabited areas in the mountains of Montenegro,
            Hercegovina, and northern Albania as well as on the southern coast of
            Dalmatia, where they founded Ragusa (modern Dubrovnik). In the 14th century
            some Morlachs moved northward into Croatia. In the 15th century others,
            later called Cici, settled in the Istrian Peninsula.

            Copyright 1994-1998 Encyclopaedia Britannica
          • Olan Mikkelsen
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
              <snip>
              >of Romanian. They have a distinctive national dress
              > and in particular an unusually shaped traditional 'mountain axe'
              and a very
              > wide leather belt both of which are considered very significant in
              there
              > culture. The live (or lived,) in strange triangular shaped houses
              <snip>
              The traditional dress of the Poles in the Tatra mountains near
              Zakopane also includes a distinct axe/walking stick and wide leather
              belt. A low-crowned hat with a wide, flat brim is also worn. There
              is also a more distinctive hat that would be very hard to describe.
              The whole ensemble looked very "apline" to me. Similar clothing and
              accoutrements are worn in Bavaria, as well.

              Landolf
            • timbo@marcon.org
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
                The walking stick / axe combo can be found at www.sovietski.com