Re: [sig] Book on armor of the Steppe peoples

  • timbo@marcon.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2000
      Speaking of which, a gentle in N.E. Ohio has reproduced the scale
      armour of this period, to which I have written an article detailing
      its construction and am presently involved in reproducing for my own
      for use in SCA heavy combat. I call it "slinky armour" because it has
      the flexibility of mail and the impact distribution of plate, with a
      gambeson worn underneath.
      'dak

      To: sig@egroups.com, eisental@...
      From: Jenne Heise <jenne@...>
      Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:16:53 -0500 (EST)
      Subject: [sig] Book on armor of the Steppe peoples

      I mentioned seeing this book mentioned in a David Brown catalog, but I
      can't remember who was interested:

      Arms and Armour of the Nomads of the Great Steppe in the Times of the
      Mongol Expansion (12th to 14th cents) by Witold Swietoslawski A detailed
      study of the arms and armour of the nomads of the Great Steppe in the 12th
      to 14th centuries, at the time of the Mongol expansion. The evidence and
      sources are described weapon by weapon: defensive arms (body armour and
      soft quilted armour, helmets and sheilds) and offensive arms (sabres,
      words, spears, axes, maces, bows and arrows), war machines, explosive and
      chemical weapons, horse armour and harness. Finally there is a review of
      the late medieval warriors of the Great Steppe. The book provides a
      well-written English account of source material that is otherwise hard to
      reach and difficult to read. 144p, 32 pls (Oficyna Naukowa MS, Poland)
      Paperback. Price US $19.95 ISBN 838587402X. Available through oxbow books,
      www.oxbowbooks.com

      disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me. "I do my job. I
      refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial hallucinations." --
      Lady Jemina Starker
    • Art Plazewski
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
        >words, spears, axes, maces, bows and arrows), war machines, explosive and

        O yes WORDS were very offensive weapons at that times ... ROTFL ;-)
        Art.

        -