Re: [sig] Khazar names link

  • Robert J Welenc
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2000
      At 08:49 PM 10/23/00 -0400, you wrote:
      >Speaking of names, in case anyone is interested, there is a new link
      for Khazar
      >names that are *documented* therefore authentic..
      >
      >http://www.khazaria.com/khazar-names.html
      >
      >Laura/Leya

      Sorry, but no, this is not really documentation. None of the names
      are specifically dated, none of them indicate which book they came
      from (out of the 5 possible choices), and none of the books
      referenced has the full bibliographical data that makes it possible
      to make an educated guess as to its reliability. It would make a
      reasonable starting place, but I would not be surprised to see Laurel
      return a name documented solely from this page.

      For comparison, look at Paul's Russian name documentation at
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/
      and a random example:

      Bobrovnik (m) -- "beaver-breeder, trapper."
      Mitko Bobrovnik Shirko, Vinnitsa craftsman. 1552. [Tup
      444]

      The meaning is nice but not entirely necessary, unless the submitter
      wants a name that has a specific meaning. The second line is the one
      that nails the name down -- a specific cite of the name as used, a
      date, and the source. This is the kind of thing that the SCA College
      of Arms wants to see.

      Alanna
      Saying of the day:
      If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.