HELP!

  • Laron.... Just Laron.
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 20, 2000
      Good evening All,

      I was so excited when I found the link to this mailing group, my first thoughts were... "Finally!".

      In anycase, I recently started going back to populous meetings.  I didn't realize how much I missed them until I actually went back.  In any case, I've been involved with the SCA for years and have never really decided on a persona.  Something just occurred to me the other day though, and perhaps now I have the solution.

      I have recently aquired knowledge on the Transylvanian region, namely around the Carpathian basin (I believe).  The culture is rich and alluring, problem is there isn't a whole lot of information that is available.  My request is that anyone who can help me... PLEASE do so.  I'm very excited about this idea, and would like to begin right away... but the beginning is very daunting, and like so many others I am short on time.  I would appreciate any assistance given, and would be very grateful...

      Laron
    • Barcsi Janos
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 22, 2000
        --- "Laron.... Just Laron." <laron@...> wrote:

        >I have recently aquired knowledge on the
        >Transylvanian region, namely around the Carpathian basin (I believe). The
        >culture is rich and alluring, problem is there isn't a whole lot of information
        >that is available. My request is that anyone who can help me... PLEASE do
        >so. I'm very excited about this idea, and would like to begin right
        >away... but the beginning is very daunting, and like so many others I am short
        >on time. I would appreciate any assistance given, and would be very
        >grateful.

        We're glad you found us! Welcome!

        First of all, there is a TON of information available on the Carpathian basin/Hungary/Transylvania.

        There are a series of knowledge pages that can provide good information to you. They can be accessed through http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html .

        A good way to start is by telling us what you want us to do to help with your persona.

        1. About WHEN are you?
        2. WHAT are your interests?
        3. HOW can we help you?
        4. WHO are you? Do you have an SCA name that you're using that you want to document?

        The more you tell us, the more we can tell you.

        Janos

        ==
        The Honorable Lord
        SOV�NY BARCSI J�NOS
        c/o LTC J. C. Smith
        HQ USAREUR/7A
        CMR 420, BOX 2839
        APO AE 09063-283

        Get paid up to $10 per email received! http://Cash.Frodo.Com
      • timbo@marcon.org
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 22, 2000
          This is what I found.
          'dak

          BN.com has 2 copies searching the out of print section. One is
          probably Browens the other is $200. A

          On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:31:09 -0500 "Bronwyn Noble" <bronwyn@...>
          writes: > Amazon.com lists the book as available for $125.00 from an
          associated > bookseller in Connecticut. Just do a search on the title
          and it > comes right > up.
        • Laron.... Just Laron.
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 24, 2000

            > We're glad you found us! Welcome!

            What a nice, warm welcome. Thank you so very much... I'm very glad I found
            you as well!

            > There are a series of knowledge pages that can provide good information to
            you.

            This will be very helpful, thank you!

            > A good way to start is by telling us what you want us to do to help with
            your persona.

            > 1. About WHEN are you?

            I was particularly interested in the 11-1300's, I have not yet decided.

            > 2. WHAT are your interests?

            Hmmm... I'm rather interested in the politics and geography of the time. I
            would like to do some heavy studying where (and WHEN I can... of course.)
            Also being musically inclined, I would like to know what they sung... and
            did in their spare time.

            > 3. HOW can we help you?

            Perhaps some bibliographic information. The library system here isn't very
            extensive (I should know, after all, I work in it), so authors and titles
            are needed together so I can ILL books. Also any more reliable internet
            information or clues would be much appreciated.

            > 4. WHO are you? Do you have an SCA name that you're using that you want
            to document?

            *laugh* Now here in dwells the problems... persona's have trouble becoming
            persona's without names. Does anyone have a good site/book with pre 14th
            century hungarian names? I have simply been known as Laron for a while
            now... and would like something similar sounding, though I don't think
            that's going to happen.

            Oh, and also... Does anyone have access to a pronunciation key? for
            instance how do you pronounce Voivode, and what EXACTLY does it mean? (hope
            she has the I in the right place)

            > The more you tell us, the more we can tell you.

            I will endeavor to be as pliable as possible... and in turn will be
            extremely appreciative, and will try to repay the favor!

            Laron

            "Sanctuary is the greatest form of freedom.... this month thing is the only
            kicker."
          • Art Plazewski
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 25, 2000
              >Oh, and also... Does anyone have access to a pronunciation key? for
              >instance how do you pronounce Voivode, and what EXACTLY does it mean? (hope
              >she has the I in the right place)

              It actually spells Wojewoda (in polish at least) You should pronounce this
              like " voyevoda" . In today's language it means " governor " , back then it
              meant leader of the warriors ( Woj - warrior ; wodzic - leading)
              Hope that helps
              Art.
            • Laron.... Just Laron.
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 25, 2000
                > It actually spells Wojewoda (in polish at least) You should pronounce this
                > like " voyevoda" . In today's language it means " governor " , back then
                it
                > meant leader of the warriors ( Woj - warrior ; wodzic - leading)

                Hmmm... That's perfect. *smiles quite happily, now that she knows what the
                word means*

                > Hope that helps
                > Art.

                Perfectomundo... oh, and it's great too.

                Thanks,
                Laron
              • MHoll@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 26, 2000
                  In a message dated 10/25/2000 5:50:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  jbcp@... writes:

                  > >Oh, and also... Does anyone have access to a pronunciation key? for
                  > >instance how do you pronounce Voivode, and what EXACTLY does it mean?
                  (hope
                  > >she has the I in the right place)
                  >
                  > It actually spells Wojewoda (in polish at least) You should pronounce this
                  > like " voyevoda" . In today's language it means " governor " , back then it
                  > meant leader of the warriors ( Woj - warrior ; wodzic - leading)
                  > Hope that helps

                  In Russian it's "voievoda" [voh-yeh-VOH-dah], and it referred to a military
                  governor, or commanding officer. In period, titles/designations tended to be
                  flexible.

                  Note that the name ends in [-a], but remains masculine, for those who have a
                  smattering of grammar. Dorothy Dunnet (writer of otherwise good historical
                  novels) spoiled her book taking place in Ivan IV's Russia for me (even before
                  I bought it) by giving a femine adjective to a masculine noun (and using the
                  wrong adjective besides). Why do even good writers do that? It's so easy to
                  ask a grad student!

                  Predslava.
                • Laron.... Just Laron.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 26, 2000
                    > In Russian it's "voievoda" [voh-yeh-VOH-dah], and it referred to a
                    military
                    > governor.....

                    The reason I asked was to get a good idea of it's pronunciation, to make
                    sure I wasn't totally mutilating it. The definitions are very sound with
                    the way it's been contextualized in my books.

                    > Note that the name ends in [-a], but remains masculine...

                    I thought it was a masculine name, it doesn't have a feminine counterpart,
                    does it? *Seriously doubts it* Just wondering.

                    Why do even good writers do that? It's so easy to
                    > ask a grad student!

                    *Is so glad to have Grad Students*

                    Laron
                  • Robert J Welenc
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 26, 2000
                      >In Russian it's "voievoda" [voh-yeh-VOH-dah], and it referred to a
                      military
                      >governor, or commanding officer. In period, titles/designations
                      tended to be
                      >flexible.

                      Title? Unless it was also used as a name, it is unregisterable. We
                      do not register titles, whether SCA earned or assumed.

                      Rules of Submission:

                      VI.1. Names Claiming Rank - Names containing titles, territorial
                      claims, or allusions to rank are considered presumptuous.
                      Titles like "Earl" and "Duke" generally may not be used as Society
                      names, even if the title is the submitter's legal name. Names
                      documented to have been used in period may be used, even if they were
                      derived from titles, provided there is no suggestion of territorial
                      claim or explicit assertion of rank. For example, "Regina the
                      Laundress" is acceptable but "Regina of Germany" is not. ... In some
                      cases, use of an otherwise inoffensive occupational surname in a
                      territorial context may make it appear to be a title or rank, such as
                      "John the Bard of Armagh" or "Peter Abbot of St. Giles".

                      Alanna
                      ***********
                      Saying of the day:
                      How do I set my laser printer on "stun?"
                    • Art Plazewski
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 27, 2000
                        > In Russian it's "voievoda" [voh-yeh-VOH-dah], and it referred to a
                        military
                        > governor.....

                        The reason I asked was to get a good idea of it's pronunciation, to make
                        sure I wasn't totally mutilating it. The definitions are very sound with
                        the way it's been contextualized in my books.

                        > Note that the name ends in [-a], but remains masculine...

                        I thought it was a masculine name, it doesn't have a feminine counterpart,
                        does it? *Seriously doubts it* Just wondering.

                        Why do even good writers do that? It's so easy to
                        > ask a grad student!

                        *Is so glad to have Grad Students*

                        Laron

                        Actually it's a palatinate governor...
                        It's masculine for sure ... no doubts about it ... medieval societies were
                        patriarchal , right? So the military leader ( Wojewoda ) was a man who was
                        commanding group of knights from particular palatinate ...etc,etc...
                        Art.
                      • Laron.... Just Laron.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 27, 2000
                          > Title? Unless it was also used as a name, it is unregisterable. We
                          > do not register titles, whether SCA earned or assumed.

                          *laugh* Whoo, yes, yes... I know. Just wanted the meaning of the word... it
                          was an example... ack. *chuckle*

                          Laron
                        • Laron.... Just Laron.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 27, 2000
                            > Actually it's a palatinate governor...
                            > It's masculine for sure ... no doubts about it ... medieval societies were
                            > patriarchal , right? So the military leader ( Wojewoda ) was a man who was
                            > commanding group of knights from particular palatinate ...etc,etc...
                            > Art.

                            *Takes notes* Great. Military... Now I know where to come if I need the
                            particular meaning of names and titles. Yay.

                            Laron
                          • MHoll@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 27, 2000
                              In a message dated 10/26/2000 4:17:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
                              laron@... writes:

                              > I thought it was a masculine name, it doesn't have a feminine counterpart,
                              > does it? *Seriously doubts it* Just wondering.

                              No, of course not. It's just that it hit this thing with this writer who
                              mangled grammar so badly my teeth hurt...

                              Some Russian nouns *look* feminine, are declined like feminine nouns, *but*
                              they are *masculine*, and adjectives that qualify them must be in the
                              masculine form, too.

                              Like <diadia> -- uncle: feminine in form, but better not insult those
                              medieval uncles with a feminine adjective... yes, that noun is that old.

                              Predslava,
                              just practicing for next semester.
                            • alastair@iol.cz
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 28, 2000
                                Predslava wrote...

                                >Some Russian nouns *look* feminine, are declined like feminine
                                >nouns, *but* they are *masculine*, and adjectives that qualify them
                                >must be in the masculine form, too.

                                :-)
                                Can't resist mentioning a wee problem in Czech that catched EVERYONE
                                at some point...

                                Boleslav is a man's name, and was the name of three Premyslid
                                princes. BUT Boleslav is also the name of a town - and is feminine.
                                (So "Stara (Old) Boleslav" is the present name of the place, and
                                "stary Boleslav" is that old guy who lives round the corner...)

                                Yrs aye

                                Alastair
                              • Laron.... Just Laron.
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 28, 2000
                                  > Like <diadia> -- uncle: feminine in form, but better not insult those
                                  > medieval uncles with a feminine adjective... yes, that noun is that old.

                                  *has a fun time with this one at work*

                                  Laron
                                • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 28, 2000
                                    On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Laron.... Just Laron. wrote:

                                    > Does anyone have a good site/book with pre 14th century hungarian
                                    > names? I have simply been known as Laron for a while now... and would
                                    > like something similar sounding, though I don't think that's going to
                                    > happen.

                                    Hungarian I can help with (even that early!) -- you'd have a harder time
                                    if you wanted a Cumanian or Wallachian name.

                                    So what's most important in you name if you can't have something that
                                    sounds like Laron? I've got a list of some very early Hungarian names
                                    with just one syllable, or I might be able to put together a short list of
                                    two-syllable names. Or if there are particular first letter sounds you
                                    want, of a particular vowel, I can work with that too.

                                    You'll have to be patient, though. I only get in to check my mail from
                                    this list about once a week, so it may be next weekend before I see your
                                    reply, and another week beyond that before I can send you information.

                                    --Walraven
                                  • Jenn/Yana
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 28, 2000
                                      >Some Russian nouns *look* feminine, are declined like feminine nouns, *but*
                                      >they are *masculine*, and adjectives that qualify them must be in the
                                      >masculine form, too.

                                      In Russian class, we call these "transvestite" nouns. :-) It's a good
                                      memory tool...

                                      --Yana
                                    • MHoll@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 28, 2000
                                        In a message dated 10/28/2000 7:40:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                        jdmiller2@... writes:

                                        > In Russian class, we call these "transvestite" nouns. :-) It's a good
                                        > memory tool..

                                        Oh, I have to remember that one... I might have to go and find out what
                                        "transvestite" is in Russian... I'll be teaching an advanced conversation
                                        class (no giggly first-years), I might need it...

                                        Predslava,
                                        whose active Russian vocabulary is quite proper, unlike her English and
                                        French (shows you who taught her Russian...)
                                      • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 30, 2000
                                          In a message dated 10/29/2000 1:44:41 PM Pacific Standard Time, MHoll@...
                                          writes:

                                          << Oh, I have to remember that one... I might have to go and find out what
                                          "transvestite" is in Russian... I'll be teaching an advanced conversation
                                          class (no giggly first-years), I might need it...

                                          It's "transvestit" or "transvestitka," Predslava.. Sorry, not very
                                          enriching as far as the Russian vocabulary goes.

                                          Liudmila
                                        • Sarayya@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 30, 2000
                                          • MHoll@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 2, 2000
                                              In a message dated 10/30/2000 10:54:09 AM Central Standard Time,
                                              LiudmilaV@... writes:

                                              > It's "transvestit" or "transvestitka," Predslava..

                                              Oh, pooh! I was hoping for something more colorful...

                                              Predslava.