Re: [sig] More name help

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 1999
      At 11:44 AM 7/10/1999 -0500, you wrote:
      >From: "Elizabeth B. Naime" <elspeth@...>
      >From what I've read -- initially a library book on personal names in
      >Novgorod in this perios, later in the wonderful online book of Russian
      >Names (whose author I forget, but wish to thank nonetheless) --

      Hi -- I'm the author whose name you forgot :)

      >if your
      >parents gave you a Slavic name that did not correspond with a saint's
      >name, any time after the conversion, you would also acquire a christening
      >name.

      True

      The Slavic name could have been used informally (afaik only the
      >princes and such used non-saint names for public purposes -- feedback on
      >this?)

      True again

      and the christening name would have been used in written records
      >and from this I assume in formal situations. "Middle" names in the modern
      >sense didn't exist, but here I perceive a way to have three names fair and
      >square!

      Where do you get the third name? I count one Russian name, one baptismal
      name.

      >However I am having trouble distinguishing between names that would have
      >been christening names, and those that wouldn't. I think my favorite
      >choice, Daria, would have been a christening name (a 3rd century saint and
      >therefore Greek??).

      Yes, the Orthodox Church has a list of proper baptismal names. Most of
      them are Orthodox saint, although some Bible folk are included.

      Can wiser heads than mine verify this, and has anyone
      >in a similar quest gleaned a list of non-saint feminine Slavic names?

      See my Dictionary again -- there are 100s there

      We
      >seem to be better respected as a sex in this period than in many others,
      >but women's names still don't make it into the record in the same numbers
      >as men's names do... and I am thinking that the Slavic names, being
      >informal, would be even less likely to be written down.

      True -- see the grammar section of my Dictionary again.

      >Feel free to respond publically if you think there is general interest, or
      >privately if something like this has been discussed to death prior to my
      >arrival.

      Feel free to contact me directly (I'm using my wife's account to post
      this). My
      address is: goldschp@...

      -- Paul Wickenden of Thanet

      P.S. The Second Ed of the Dictionary is available at:

      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul