Buttons?

  • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2000
      What kinds of buttons (design, material) are period for a late 12th-early
      13th centry Rus? If you don't know, I'll take close neighbors and time
      periods..

      Anywhere I can buy replicas? :)

      Dmitriy

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • LiudmilaV@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2000
        In a message dated 10/4/2000 10:50:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        dvryaboy@... writes:

        << What kinds of buttons (design, material) are period for a late 12th-early
        13th centry Rus? If you don't know, I'll take close neighbors and time
        periods..>>

        I belive that metal shank buttons would be period. They'd have to be round
        or egg-shaped, not flat. Filigree was done at the time, as well as enameling
        and engraving. No buttonholes, of course -- loop closures.

        << Anywhere I can buy replicas? :) >>

        I use metal or metal-looking plastic buttons that somewhat resemble the
        style, but are not close enough for me taste...except for those metal balls I
        recently found at a gem show. Good luck finding replicas, I'd like to know
        where you do, if you do!

        Liudmila
      • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2000
          >I use metal or metal-looking plastic buttons that somewhat resemble the
          >style, but are not close enough for me taste...except for those metal balls
          >recently found at a gem show. Good luck finding replicas, I'd like to know
          >where you do, if you do!
          >
          >Liudmila

          Well, I haven't found anyone doing Russian buttons (big surprise there!),
          but here some others that are passable (one of them loks remarkably close to
          a picture of a button-casting form form 13th cnetury I have..)

          http://www.medievalwares.com/medieval_buttons.htm
          http://www.historicenterprises.com/sl/buttons.html

          Also,
          http://www.londonaccessories.com/
          http://www.regia.org/bodgit-bendit.htm
          Have everything your heart desires in terms of fittings -- except for
          buckles

          http://finkas.home.netcom.com/Forgerie/Forgerie1.html is a site to watch --
          I might be able to convince Henri to do some true Russian repros.
          (Barter proposal -- research for buckles! :)

          -Dmitriy Shelomianin

          http://profiles.msn.com