Re: Mail dimensions

  • Elizabeth B. Naime
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2000
      Dimitriy wrote:

      > 9th and 10th century maille shirts are made of alternating welded and
      > riveted rings, id 7 to 9 and 13 to 14 mm, thikness 1.5-2 mm (each garment

      Are we sure those are welded? -- I haven't seen any examples, but have
      seen a later period German shirt with alternating riveted and solid rings,
      and on close inspection the solid rings appeared to have been cast rather
      than welded. So I wondered.

      Elspeth the ill-named
      Elizabeth Naime <elspeth@...>
    • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2000
        >From: "Elizabeth B. Naime" <elspeth@...>
        >Are we sure those are welded? Elspeth the ill-named
        >Elizabeth Naime <elspeth@...>

        Kirpichnikov mentions welded specifically several times in the article I
        got the info from (A.N. Kirpichnikov, "Drevnerusskoe Oruzhie" vol. 3,
        Arheologia SSSR, Nauka, Leningrad 1971).

        He does not make any reference to punched or cast rings. By the way, are
        you sure the German ones were cast? Casting would make for a very weak
        ring.. are you sure they were not _punched_?

        -Dmitriy Shelomianin

        http://profiles.msn.com