Re: [sig] Re: Conversion

  • V. Boitchenko
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2000
      That depends on which position you take. Generally speaking each religion (including Islam and Judaism of all branches) looks upon another as false (i.e. say heretical). Besides, the Sunni Muslims look the same way upon the Shea. Likewise both mainstream teachings of the rabbinical synagogue see the reform Jews. It is the question of distortion of the doctrine from the point of view of any of the above mentioned religions.

      All of the above plus most Christians will most probably see the Buddhists and pagans. The Jews in general historically called any non-Jew a pagan (gentile).

      The reading that you mention must be very interesting. By the way, I recently came across an article about the Bukhara Jewish Association in the US. Interestingly, the charter of the association speaks about Uzbekistan as "country where we lived for over 2000 years." I am wondering if such statement has a historical basis (I do not know). And also, Bukhara  was much more powerful, culturally and economically advanced culture than Khazaria and Rus both together.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
        "V. Boitchenko" wrote:

        > Interestingly, the charter of the association speaks about Uzbekistan
        > as "country where we lived for over 2000 years." I am wondering if
        > such statement has a historical basis (I do not know). And also,
        > Bukhara was much more powerful, culturally and economically advanced
        > culture than Khazaria and Rus both together. v
        >
        > =====================
        > That's interesting, which country/culture was Bukhara part of?? Would
        > that be Persia, Mesopotamia, Ottomans? I thought Uzbekistan was one of
        > those frontier zones at the edge of the steppes until it was
        > incorporated into the Mongols or Turks. I need to study more. This
        > book "history of Russia, Central ASia & Mongolia" is very enlightening
        > about those steppe barbarians & how they got that way and their
        > effects on the other cultures.
        >
        > Leya
      • Amy Tubbs
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2000
          Muslims believe that there are three enlightened religions: Judaism,
          Christianity, and Islam. By enlightened they mean believing in the one true
          God -- Allah, Jehovah, Yahweh... In fact, Muslims may marry someone from
          any of the three enlightened faiths. It is only extremist countries such as
          U.A.E. which have forbidden it.
          --Sasha

          >That depends on which position you take. Generally speaking each religion
          >(including Islam and Judaism of all branches) looks upon another as false
          >(i.e. say heretical). Besides, the Sunni Muslims look the same way upon the
          >Shea. Likewise both mainstream teachings of the rabbinical synagogue see
          >the reform Jews. It is the question of distortion of the doctrine from the
          >point of view of any of the above mentioned religions.
          >
          >All of the above plus most Christians will most probably see the Buddhists
          >and pagans. The Jews in general historically called any non-Jew a pagan
          >(gentile).
          >
          >The reading that you mention must be very interesting. By the way, I
          >recently came across an article about the Bukhara Jewish Association in the
          >US. Interestingly, the charter of the association speaks about Uzbekistan
          >as "country where we lived for over 2000 years." I am wondering if such
          >statement has a historical basis (I do not know). And also, Bukhara was
          >much more powerful, culturally and economically advanced culture than
          >Khazaria and Rus both together.

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • Trudy A Plotz
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2000
            On Sat, 30 Sep 2000 11:20:07 +0000 Shadow <shadow42@...> writes:
            > Trudy A Plotz wrote:
            <snip>
            > > heathens: ignorant savages (Vikings, Native Americans, Southern
            > African
            > > Tribes)
            > > pagans: civilized heathens (think ancient Greeks, Romans, and
            > Egyptians)
            > > heretic: some one who has been raised with the teachings of the
            > Church,
            > > but to reject the doctrine of the Church (Martin Luther became a
            > heretic
            > > when he slit from the Roman Catholic Church)

            <snip>
            > > Saranna
            >
            > Which category do Jews & Muslims fit into? How about Buddhists,
            > Manicheans,
            > Zoroasterans??
            <snip>
            > Leya
            Mmmmm, good question. I think that any of the faiths based on
            Judeo-Christian-Islam teachings (which includes all the ones mentioned
            except Buddhists) would probably be considered heretics from the point of
            view of the Roman Catholic Church for not following its doctrine and its
            version of the teachings of Christ. The Buddhists would be pagan as
            would Confucianism. Hindus and other eastern faiths with a pantheon of
            gods and goddesses would be heathen.
            Saranna
            "Please don't let my reality hinder your imagination." --The Red Green
            Show
            mailto:VikingRose@...

            Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • V. Boitchenko
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2000
              Both Bukhara and Samarkand were originally Tajik (i.e. Iranian-speaking people). It was a very high predominantly Muslim culture by the standards of the period and it was swept away by the Mongols and later taken over by the Uzbeks. There was a Jewish community that goes back to the early first century. Supposedly they were Jews from Babylon and being apart from the rest of the Jewish world they did not know the Rabbinical teaching of the early ages and for a long time adhered to the original religion of Israel. There are always speculations that this area is were the ten tribes of Israel got lost. There was also a Turkic group called "Jews of the Mountains" and some historians speculated that they were somehow related to the Khazars. This theory was proven wrong.