Re: [sig] Conversion (was: Fealty Oaths)

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 30, 2000
      In a message dated 9/29/2000 11:02:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
      jenne@... writes:

      > Depends on which Baltic tribe you mean, Predslava. The Teutonic knights
      > wiped out the Prus entirely... they were not converting but clearing the
      > land.

      Yes, I forgot that. However, officially, they were "converting" those tribes.
      It was a "crusade" sanctioned in the early XIII century by the Pope (IIRC it
      was Innocent III -- what a name!).

      > Lithuania underwent a pseudovoluntary conversion when Wladyslaw
      > Jagiello converted, of the "I'm the king and you all are going to convert
      > now and I'm going to burn the shrines."

      Again, IIRC, Lithuania underwent several "conversions" (and reversions to the
      old ways) as they sought the best allies. Very practical people.

      Predslava.