Re: [sig] Digest Number 428

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2000
      Jadwiga wrote...

      >Not necessarily. Supersition, Fraizer to the contrary, is
      >not necessarily religion. [snip]

      Well I did say "perhaps". ;-)

      Nevertheless, a priest must regard doctrine/dogma as superceding
      superstition, surely? To say that the "people don't believe the same thing"
      actually agrees with my point, which was that the new religion had not yet
      been fully accepted and/or understood.... And there is a difference between
      noting "pagan practices" and calling someone a "pagan", of course...

      Alastair
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2000
        In a message dated 9/30/2000 2:01:46 AM Central Daylight Time,
        alastair@... writes:

        > Nevertheless, a priest must regard doctrine/dogma as superceding
        > superstition, surely?

        Yes, and interestingly enough, it is the basis of the Russian Church's
        position (in period) on witches. Belief in witches is superstition, therefore
        there are no witches.

        Church officials actually defended women accused of witchcraft and protected
        them. Yes, I do have some more specific refs, somewhere in my files, and I'm
        too lazy to look them up.

        Predslava.