Re: Conversion (was: Fealty Oaths)

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 28, 2000
      Leya wrote...

      > I suppose people could be nominally christians &
      >still keep the old practices'.

      Oh certainly, yes. Cf. the apparently nominal conversion of the 14
      Bohemian princes at Regensburg in 845... and the fact that even the
      early (really) Christian Premyslids were buried with pig bones and
      eggshells etc...

      Cheers!

      Alastair
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 28, 2000
        Jadwiga wrote...

        >It's also a bad idea to assume that because little
        >old men in cassocks ;)

        Blatant generalisation. This doesn't help the debate at all.

        >were complaining about non-church
        >practices, those practices indicate an actual living pagan
        >religion, as opposed to folk customs and superstitions.

        But it DOES indicate that the conversion is not complete, or perhaps
        that the newly introduced religion is not entirely understood...

        >Christian priests and preachers up through the mid 20th
        >century had a tendency to label as pagan whatever behaviros
        >they didn't necessarily care for.

        They tended to label them as *heretic*, I think, which is slightly
        different, although of course most if not all pagans would have been
        considered heretics ;).

        Cheers!

        Alastair
      • V. Boitchenko
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 28, 2000
          I will agree with Alastair. Any religion has a dogmatic teaching and it has a way of looking at practices that do not conform with it. Otherwise it is not a religion. All churches no matter what denomination incorporated all kinds of folk traditions. Generally speaking, neither of the monotheistic religions looks upon one another as pagan but rather as heretical (i.e. false). Paganism refers to worshipping any god other than the only one true God. If you go as early as Torah, you will see that starting from Abraham the Jews being the only monotheists among the rest of the Arabian tribes who all followed the Sumerian naturalistic cults of Baal and the like, looked upon those practices as pagan.

          Jadwiga wrote...

          >It's also a bad idea to assume that because little
          >old men in cassocks ;)

        • Jenne Heise
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 28, 2000
            > >were complaining about non-church
            > >practices, those practices indicate an actual living pagan
            > >religion, as opposed to folk customs and superstitions.
            > But it DOES indicate that the conversion is not complete, or perhaps
            > that the newly introduced religion is not entirely understood...

            Not necessarily. Supersition, Fraizer to the contrary, is not necessarily
            religion. When you reach the point several hundred years later where
            people are doing things like putting a penny in the well to cure warts
            and priests are condemning that as pagan, the problem is not that the
            religion isn't understood: it's that the priests believe that doctrine
            supercedes supersitions and the people don't believe the same thing.

            > >Christian priests and preachers up through the mid 20th
            > >century had a tendency to label as pagan whatever behaviros
            > >they didn't necessarily care for.
            > They tended to label them as *heretic*, I think, which is slightly
            > different, although of course most if not all pagans would have been
            > considered heretics ;).

            Certainly true pagans (worshippers of the old gods) would be heretics.
            However, priests really did refer to superstitious practices, such as
            holding feasts for the dead, as pagan, rather than simply condemning the
            practioners as 'heretics'. The difference is that if someone is practicing
            some of the beahviors of the old religion but worshipping the new gods,
            they are still invovled with pagan traditions but are in the Christian
            religion nonetheless.

            Popery, for instance, was often condemned by the Protestants for pagan
            practices such as votive offerengs, smells and bells, and the like. The
            fact that the Protestents considered such practices pagan didn't make the
            Catholics followers of Roman Religion.

            "And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
            With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
            Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
            And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again."
          • Shadow
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 28, 2000
              "V. Boitchenko" wrote:

              > I will agree with Alastair. Any religion has a dogmatic teaching and
              > it has a way of looking at practices that do not conform with it.
              > Otherwise it is not a religion. All churches no matter what
              > denomination incorporated all kinds of folk traditions. Generally
              > speaking, neither of the monotheistic religions looks upon one another
              > as pagan but rather as heretical (i.e. false). Paganism refers to
              > worshipping any god other than the only one true God. If you go as
              > early as Torah, you will see that starting from Abraham the Jews being
              > the only monotheists among the rest of the Arabian tribes who all
              > followed the Sumerian naturalistic cults of Baal and the like, looked
              > upon those practices as pagan.

              Actually, even the Jews weren't as Jewish as people think, because
              apparently the common folk of Israel were inclined to worship a
              canaanite-derived goddess "Asherah" who was the consort of "El" (a
              canaanite God who sort of was another name for the 'standard" Jewish god
              Yahweh. Supposedly a great number of Asherah figures were found in
              Israel, and it's theorized that this practice was widespread at least
              till the babylonian captivity about 500 BC or so.

              (Got my information from "The HEbrew Goddess" by RAphael Patai.)

              Leya
            • Barcsi Janos
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 28, 2000
                --- Shadow <shadow42@...>
                > wrote:

                >I have always wondered how the missionaries were able to convert all the<BR>
                >European tribes (Goths, Celts etc.)

                I remember reading some years ago that after Charlemagne defeated the Saxons, the treaty called for their ruler to become a Christian. He, in turn, marched the whole nation through a river, "baptising" them.

                After they broke out in political and religious revolt and were again subdued, Charlemagne made them do it all over again.

                Janos

                ==
                The Honorable Lord
                SOV�NY BARCSI J�NOS
                c/o LTC J. C. Smith
                HQ USAREUR/7A
                CMR 420, BOX 2839
                APO AE 09063-283

                Meta Search the web http://Meta.Frodo.Com
              • MHoll@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 29, 2000
                  In a message dated 9/27/2000 8:15:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  shadow42@... writes:

                  > I would think one of the factors is whether the people converted
                  voluntarily
                  > or whether there was force involved.

                  Considering that Christianity spread quite slowly in Russia, it was probably
                  *mostly* voluntary (peer pressure, you know).

                  > I have always wondered how the missionaries were able to convert all the
                  > European tribes (Goths, Celts etc.)

                  With the Teutonic knights and the Baltic tribes, it was quite simple:
                  convert, burn your shrines, or else, he said, sword in hand.

                  If the said Teutonic knights would have at least respected the new converts,
                  they might have converted people faster, even sword in hand.

                  Predslava.
                • V. Boitchenko
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 29, 2000
                    That is true. Throughout all the books of Torah Jews had to fight paganism within themselves as well. And it makes very good sense. If the core of the dogma is that there is only one true God any worship of anything else will conflict with the dogma. There are many ocasions that Torah refers to the facts that in some tribes people worshipped Golden Calve.

                    I was under impression that "El" was a Hebrew or at least Arameic word that Jews used: Isra-el, Beth-El etc.
                    I may have been wrong.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 29, 2000
                        > With the Teutonic knights and the Baltic tribes, it was quite simple:
                        > convert, burn your shrines, or else, he said, sword in hand.

                        Depends on which Baltic tribe you mean, Predslava. The Teutonic knights
                        wiped out the Prus entirely... they were not converting but clearing the
                        land. Lithuania underwent a pseudovoluntary conversion when Wladyslaw
                        Jagiello converted, of the "I'm the king and you all are going to convert
                        now and I'm going to burn the shrines."

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 29, 2000
                          Barcsi Janos wrote:

                          > --- Shadow <shadow42@...>
                          >
                          > > wrote:
                          >
                          > >I have always wondered how the missionaries were able to convert all the<BR>
                          >
                          > >European tribes (Goths, Celts etc.)
                          >
                          > I remember reading some years ago that after Charlemagne defeated the Saxons, the treaty called for their ruler to become a Christian. He, in turn, marched the whole nation through a river, "baptising" them.

                          Well I guess they at least got a bath out of it. BIG FAT GRIN>

                          Leya
                        • Shadow
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 29, 2000
                            "V. Boitchenko" wrote:

                            > That is true. Throughout all the books of Torah Jews had to fight
                            > paganism within themselves as well. And it makes very good sense. If
                            > the core of the dogma is that there is only one true God any worship
                            > of anything else will conflict with the dogma. There are many ocasions
                            > that Torah refers to the facts that in some tribes people worshipped
                            > Golden Calve. I was under impression that "El" was a Hebrew or at
                            > least Arameic word that Jews used: Isra-el, Beth-El etc.I may have
                            > been wrong.
                            >

                            > No you're not wrong. "EL" means "GOD" I suppose in a generic as well
                            > as a specific sense.
                            > Leya
                            >
                            > PS. sorry I can't figure out how to work this weird e-mail which puts
                            > everything in italics.

                          • Shadow
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 29, 2000

                            • MHoll@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 30, 2000
                                In a message dated 9/29/2000 11:02:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                jenne@... writes:

                                > Depends on which Baltic tribe you mean, Predslava. The Teutonic knights
                                > wiped out the Prus entirely... they were not converting but clearing the
                                > land.

                                Yes, I forgot that. However, officially, they were "converting" those tribes.
                                It was a "crusade" sanctioned in the early XIII century by the Pope (IIRC it
                                was Innocent III -- what a name!).

                                > Lithuania underwent a pseudovoluntary conversion when Wladyslaw
                                > Jagiello converted, of the "I'm the king and you all are going to convert
                                > now and I'm going to burn the shrines."

                                Again, IIRC, Lithuania underwent several "conversions" (and reversions to the
                                old ways) as they sought the best allies. Very practical people.

                                Predslava.