Re: [sig] persona and stuff

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2000
      In a message dated 9/26/2000 11:23:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
      venceslav@... writes:

      > Their purpose was slightly different in different areas but in most cases
      it
      > was a head of the executive branch, as we would say it now.

      Almost as we would say it now. When the prince was present, he was the
      executive branch, and the judicial as well. There was no real distinction
      along those lines, but there were indeed interesting parallels between
      medieval Russian law and modern-day American institutions. Courts were used
      in very similar manner, especially civil courts. It was a rather litigious
      society, but that also means it was less likely to take things into their own
      hands.

      > In most cases
      > some decisions of the prince were only valid with the formal approval from
      > the Posadnik. In those places where there was a Veche Posadniks did
      "preside".

      Specifically, in Novgorod, and later Pskov, the two city-states where princes
      were "called" or "accepted" -- Novgorod had a right to reject and send away a
      prince it didn't like, so that there were times (months at a time) when there
      was no ruling prince. Cities (not only Novogorod) had its militias, and
      levies always joined a prince's druzhina (personal military unit) on
      campaigns.

      However, in most other cities (if not all -- I don't want to make a
      categorical statement here), the posadnik was the prince's
      appointee/envoy/representative, not necessarily (but usually wisely) from
      that same city. That is why I used the term "steward" -- not elected, not
      ruling in his own right.

      Predslava.