Re: [sig] Thumbscrews & pilliwinks

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2000
      In a message dated 9/25/2000 8:23:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
      janos@... writes:

      > Can I expand this to a bigger question? What were the "official" period
      > means of interrogation in the SIG area? ("Official" as opposed to dunking
      > people in a creek, or cutting off appendages, or making them work in a
      > cubicle with no windows.)

      In Russia, ordeal by fire. It was actually an official thing and could decide
      the outcome of a court case. Don't have an exact date, but I think it's
      rather later in our period.

      Another official means of punishment was flogging. Torture in general is
      mentioned in obtaining evidence/confession and as punishment, but I haven't
      found any details.

      Nor could I found any interesting data on jails. The word that appears in
      documents is "cellar" (<pogreb> -- the "buried, or dug-out, place"). For that
      matter, prison terms were unknown. Jails of their equivalents were only
      holding places. Punishment was either weregeld or servitude, or both,
      sometimes with a little flogging on top.

      Predslava,
      also with a dark side, but it's all in the interest of science, of course.